Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1

So I was a bit bored, decided to play with some combinations of 50mm, 28mm, 135mm, extension tubes and a 2xTC to see what kind of macro magnification I could get. My shots are in this set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisca...7603407935780/

I apologize for the blurry shots - the reversed lens shots were done by hand holding the lens in front of the mounted lens (need to get some rings!!)

Some interesting combos came about -

Reversing a 50mm on a 50mm on my tubes, gave me a 2:1 macro - but the subject was basically on the rear element of the reversed lens!

With the 135mm on the tubes I got a 1:2 macro at about 15". by inserting the 2xTC on the body end, I kept the same 15", but it moved to a 1:1 macro. If I put the 2xTC between the lens and the tubes, it stayed a 1:2, but I had to move back to 36" or so.

Turns out I don't get quite 1:1 with the 50mm on the tubes, its just under. But reversing a 50mm on a 50mm gets 1:1.

I was able to get approximately 5:1 by putting a reversed 28mm on a 50mm on tubes on the 2xTC with a work distance of about 1 inch!

All in all, a fun experiment...
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:58 AM   #2

Interesting experiment ccallana, thanks for sharing the results. I had an interest in macro photography from the beginning. I tried diopters and extension tubes briefly but quickly decided I needed a macro lens.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:14 AM   #3

how are you getting your magnification ratios??
with just a 50mm reversed i'm showing just under 1:1 mag.
that's with the lens mounted on my DIY reversing mount that places the lens about 19mm from the camera body.
i don't know the math but the easiest way to really find the mag. is to shoot a MM ruler.. a 1:1 ratio is attained when you have 23mm of the ruler in the shot. a 2:1(twice real life) is when you have only 12-13 mm in the shot.. with a 28mm i'm showing right around 11-13mm or around a 2:1 mag.
i haven't tried me 135mm but have used the 105mm macro not reversed with 63mm ETs and a 2x converter for some where around 3-4:1. that combo is certainly not good for the cam as the whole rig is about a foot long putting way too much weight on the mount..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:15 AM   #4

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Interesting experiment ccallana, thanks for sharing the results. I had an interest in macro photography from the beginning. I tried diopters and extension tubes briefly but quickly decided I needed a macro lens.

Tim
tim,
i've gotten great results with ETs and a 50.. as good as my macro.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:19 AM   #5

OOPS!!!

looks like i should have looked at your link before wasting all that time replying..

roy
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:23 AM   #6

I'm guessing the OOPs is that you went to look at the pics

Precisely why I shot a ruler - to easily tell how much I was getting... I think my math was right, but of course, I've been known to make some mistakes in the past.... If you see something not quite right, let me know.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:07 PM   #7

1:1 or 5:1 doesn't really matter....How do you like them??? This is the yard stick to go by....I've seen 1:1 macros that Pure Dee Ole Suck and 1:4 macros that shine....What do you like and how pleasing to the eye are they?? That is the ruler you use!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:22 PM   #8

Certainly, its the end result that matters - what I was trying to gather is what the various combinations do - that way when I say "hmm, this table salt is sure interesting, I wonder what a picture of it would look like?" - I know what combo to grab