Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:59 PM   #1

i just don't see how you can compare THIS to a k10d. i really think they should use categories when comparing.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:05 PM   #2

I'm subscribed to their mag. and can testifiy to the fact tha it is biased more towards The C and N crowd than anything else.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:19 PM   #3

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I'm subscribed to their mag. and can testifiy to the fact tha it is biased more towards The C and N crowd than anything else.

Dawg
I've been getting PopPhoto & OutdoorPhotographer for the last couple of years & I agree whole-heartily! It really is getting old ....real FAST!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:28 PM   #4

Told the wife to not re-subscribe...Nothing in them I care to see any more.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:30 PM   #5

I don't see this as any slight to Pentax. The K10d is competing in an entirely different market segment. If I had $1800 to spend on a new body I doubt I would be looking at Pentax either. It does not help that the K10d is about a year old and the Nikon is brand new. I guess I expect a camera of the year award to lean towards the high dollar end of the market.

Now if they did make categories and had a "bang for the buck" category, then the K10 would be the clear front runner. If only Pentax glass was as affordable as the bodies . . .

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:30 PM   #6

Interesting that they picked a camera that just came out and really has not been field tested by the many people that are going to buy one. It certainly is feature rich and on paper is quite a camera especially with their new CMOS sensor and 51 point AF along with live view that you can focus with.

I guess I find it like Roy confusing that they would compare a $1,800 camera to a $900 camera. Why is the Nikon D3 not the camera of the year since it has far more features than the D300 does, is full frame and even higher ISO, even though it is three times the price of the D300.

I agree the D300 is a more capable camera than those they compared it to, but not more than the D3.

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:56 PM   #7

Like Tim, I don't see a problem. As biased as I am t owards the K10, I don't see that much to argue with. Technology marches on - and at a breakneck pace. It is a tribute to the K10 that after a year it still made the final cut with a bunch of newer cameras, showing that it is still competitive in today's market. The next Pentax will catch up, and probably jump ahead again, too.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:53 AM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Interesting that they picked a camera that just came out and really has not been field tested by the many people that are going to buy one. It certainly is feature rich and on paper is quite a camera especially with their new CMOS sensor and 51 point AF along with live view that you can focus with.

Tom
As was the Cannon, until the users found it didn't focus correctly...

Quite an important part of the camera's spec.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:13 PM   #9

The D300 is a higher performing camera than the K10D, but is twice the price. It is like a car magazine comparing a $15000 Hyundai to a $30000 BMW. Not fair but if you can afford the entry fee who cares?

When I first considered a DSLR the Nikon D200 was brand new, I wanted one, but when I looked at the realities of my financial situation I started looking at Pentax and Olympus because they offered more bang for the buck. They still do, the good Canon, Nikon and Sony models all start at about $1200 to $2000. The K10D is only about half the price of this average.

If reviewers choose to take the cost-no-object path it makes sense to go for the highest performer, although, like Tom, I wonder if they had some criteria that omitted the D3, an even better performing camera.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:53 PM   #10

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Like Tim, I don't see a problem. As biased as I am t owards the K10, I don't see that much to argue with. Technology marches on - and at a breakneck pace. It is a tribute to the K10 that after a year it still made the final cut with a bunch of newer cameras, showing that it is still competitive in today's market. The next Pentax will catch up, and probably jump ahead again, too.
so true doc. it is a wonder the k10d made it to the final 4...
i expected the d3 to get it tho..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote