Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1

Hi,

I've just moved up from my Point and Shoot to my first dSLR, a K10D.

Can't wait to get to grips with it and I'm hoping that I can tap into the vast seam of knowledge and experience on these forums to help me along the learning curve.

Anyway...onto Question Number 1 (the first of many no doubt)

I think I'm pretty clear on what is necessary to create HDR compositions, but I was wondering if that is what the "Bracketing" functions of the camera are for. Instead of manually changing the exposure between frames can the Bracketing function be used to automatically take 2 or 3 shots around the 0 point? if so how is that setup?

Hope that makes sense....stay tuned for more newbie questions :G

Thanks,
Mark Morb
markmorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:27 AM   #2

Bracketing is a method of using different exposures to determine the best exposure.

It either has to do with your taste, quirks in the exposure system of the camera.

Use it a couple of times using the 3 exposure settings utilizing eithe 1/2 stop or 1 stop spead, then look at the results.

Just because the camera says it's properly exposed doesn't neccessarily mean that it is..

You can also use the histogram to determine proper exposure.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:02 PM   #3

markmorb wrote:
Quote:
Anyway...onto Question Number 1 (the first of many no doubt)

I think I'm pretty clear on what is necessary to create HDR compositions, but I was wondering if that is what the "Bracketing" functions of the camera are for. Instead of manually changing the exposure between frames can the Bracketing function be used to automatically take 2 or 3 shots around the 0 point? if so how is that setup?
Mark

Welcome aboard. To answer your question, the bracketing feature will give you three exposures to work with but, depending on the scene you may need a bigger spread from shadow detail to highlight detail. Basically HDR needs a correctly exposed image, one that is exposed to get good shadow detail (overexposed) and one that is exposed to keep highlight detail (underexposed), from these three you build a new composite that has detail throughout the tonal range. In the typical high contrast scene that HDR is best for, the spread from highlight to shadows may require a couple of exposure stops either way, I don't know if the auto-bracketing feature will cover that. In other words it will work for some scenes but probably not all.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:40 PM   #4

Hi Guy's

Thanks for the replies.....

I've just spent the evening reading through the Magic Lantern Guide for the K10D and it looks as though you can select either 3 or 5 images within an exposure bracket range. You can also select increments of 0.33 to 2 EV units. That should do to get me started. I know a lot of people doing HDR are using 7 Exposures but 5 should be enough for me to begin with then I can always manually increase and decrease the stops further if I really get into it

Now off to read that chapter on Aperture settings and Depth of Field again :?

Thanks,
Mark Morb
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:37 PM   #5

again welcome to the forum mark. also read the part about WB, white balance. it will be best to use a custom WB when shooting these as well as panographics. you can shoot the shots manually but if you do be sure to change the speed and not the aperture size which would screw up your DOF, depth of field.. same with panos..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:56 AM   #6

Thank's for the advice Robar :-)
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7

The braketing feature has been around far longer than digital and far longer than HDR. So no that isn't what the bracketing feature was designed for. However, it is the feature that makes doing HDR images easy and because the K10D is one of the few cameras in its price range that will let you do 5 bracketed exposures instead of the more standard 3 it is even more perfect.

When I have played with HDR I have done 5 exposures, camera on a tripod and 1 stop increments. I feel anything smaller than 1 stop increments just isn't enough of a difference and so sort of a waste. However, I encourage you to experiement and try it and see what you like.

Myself so far I have not been happy with any HDR images. They all look either totally fake because of way too saturated colors or like paintings because everything is exposed perfectly which is not something you see in real photographs. In the end HDR images are more artwork than photograph. Both are fun to do however.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote