Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1

Elk on windy & snowy ridge with snowy antlers

This ridge almost always has some wind and normally during a storm it blows real hard here. Because of the wind there is never as much snow here as in other places real close to it.

I was glassing the ridge and saw movement behind a cedar tree so I grabbed the BIGMA. Look what stepped out from behind the tree with his snowy antlers.

Climbing to the top of the ridge.

At the top saying bye for now.

Here he is just before he went over the ridge to go to bed in the timber.

About 3 miles from the ridge some pretty ladies.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:25 AM   #2

Hi Roger,

I'm always amazed at the countless unusual things that one can see in nature -- and lucky for me that you care to share those that you see with us.

So how does this happen? Does a clump of snow fall off a tree branch hitting him just on the head, or does he shake the snow off his body while keeping his head still, leaving only the snow on his head?

Great stuff for such a long way away -- not only lens performance, but the distance makes it that much harder, and a dark animal against snow is just about impossible, so the photographer deserves the bulk of the credit. Very nicely done!!!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:20 AM   #3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger,

I'm always amazed at the countless unusual things that one can see in nature -- and lucky for me that you care to share those that you see with us.

So how does this happen? Does a clump of snow fall off a tree branch hitting him just on the head, or does he shake the snow off his body while keeping his head still, leaving only the snow on his head?

Great stuff for such a long way away -- not only lens performance, but the distance makes it that much harder, and a dark animal against snow is just about impossible, so the photographer deserves the bulk of the credit. Very nicely done!!!

Scott
Hi Scott, I believe he was laying down under the tree and when he got up he must of hit some branches and they the snow fell. Elk around here just do not like people and do everything to stay as far away as possible from them. I have 3 bulls I have been watching and am trying to come up with a ambush that will work so I can get a few shots a lot closer but so far the 1st few ambushes have not worked.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote