Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1

After a few days of no inspiration, I finally struck an idea for this 'down' photo-assignment topic. It's a photo of me catching a leaf on its way down, obviously.

I admit that I cheated on this photo. I don't have the patience, or the superhuman speed, to aim the camera on a leaf as it's falling, so I took the easy way out and used some invisible thread to hold up a leaf. Even with that cop-out, I still needed patience for the wind to die down; it was just like phorographing macros of flowers! It took me many takes to find the right shot, and I'm still not happy with what I got.

Any suggestions on how to improve this image? I'm thinking of redoing the shot with a more barren tree, to emphasize the feeling of fall/winter. I'm also not sure why there's so much noise. I took this photo at 1/500s @ f/1.4 and ISO 400.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:13 PM   #2

The color contrasst did you in...A medium to dark blue sky would do better...The difference in color and the solid background would focus more vision on the leaf itself...Just my opinion!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:08 PM   #3

Good suggestion, dawg. I have a similar photo I took to test the concept out, and the plain white background does help with simplifying the subject.

Now I'm not sure which one I like more...

- Jason
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:11 PM   #4

I like the first one better if it had a bluish background...Really nice..Keep trying!! This is how you as well as the rest of us learn...

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:10 AM   #5

Would it not be easier to take a shot of releasing a leaf from your open hand and then inverting the photograph? Just have to make sure the background would not give you away.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 1:15 PM   #6

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Would it not be easier to take a shot of releasing a leaf from your open hand and then inverting the photograph?* Just have to make sure the background would not give you away.

Tim
Dropping the leaf would help outside with battling the wind, but like you said, I'd have to make sure the background doesn't look weird upside-down. I'd also have to make sure the light looks right upside down. This holds especially true with the indoor shot, as my hand has the potential to cast a shadow, which would make it obvious that I flipped the image.

- Jason