Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2007, 5:30 AM   #11
TDN

Yikes, that's about the price of a new car :?

Some juicy stuff in there though...*drool

Enjoy the new toys roger!

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:10 AM   #12

Yes, I can see the Wacky part now! Not many people buy an entire system in one easy step!!! Be sure to let us know where you post your Canon wildlife pictures, that lens should get some magnificent results.

To bad that Pentax doesn't really have an "in-house" package for wildlife photographers. They are the undoubted masters of the small camera-small prime lens with the Limited series, and they now have the wide to mid tele range covered with the latest DA* lenses, but still nothing new beyond 300mm (hope I have that number right). I don't expect Pentax to build a full pro-spec Canon 1D/ Nikon D3 beater, the cost is to high for a very questionable success, but some comparable long lenses for the K10D would fill the gap for those who cannot afford the pro body prices.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:13 AM   #13

That sounds like an awsome kit, Roger. I know it will be a world beater. Be sure to show us some resluts!!!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:39 AM   #14

And to think, I have been wondering if I could afford a K10D as a retirement gift to myself next June!

Seeing the images you have been posting with the lowly BIGMA I can't wait to see what you can accomplish with the 500mm f4 Canon and one of those teleconverters!!

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 1:31 PM   #15

Hi Roger,

Looks like you're doing it right! Kinda funny to think of a K10 w/Bigma as your lightweight setup tho. . .:-).

I don't really think that the learning curve will be that steep -- The hard part is getting the camera set up for the way you want to work, and the 1D has a whole lot of choices in this regard. You've shown that you have a rare talent for wildlife photography, and with the K10, you seemed to have mastered the technical end quickly, and IMO it's not an easy camera to get a real grip on, so I know the Canon will not be that hard for you to get used to.

So now we have a penolta and a cantax. . .:G

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:49 PM   #16

He was refering to focus tracking and I think this is very relevant to Rogers getting a 2nd inexpensive start kit

JohnG wrote:

Quote:
An important thing to keep in mind for sports shooters and anyone else who uses AI-Servo:

Pop Photo like most reviews DOES NOT APPEAR TO TEST FOCUS TRACKING. Initial focus lock is only part of the equation. It is equally important how well the camera can TRACK a moving subject.

Every competent, current sports shooter I have ever spoken with uses AI-Servo for much of their work. NHL asside, many wildlife photographers do too.

Now, that doesn't mean competant shooters are firing off 15 shot bursts. That is usually not the case. But, most will acquire and track a subject before firing. And, when they do shoot a burst they expect a good keeper rate. Put simply, if a camera gets a great first shot, but can't track well and (if you were to do so) had only a 30% in-focus rate in a 10 shot burst it isn't going to be a very good action camera.

So, the tests popular photo did, while important information, is only PART of the story. And for all sports photographers and most wildlife photographers, the missing part of the story is an important one.

This isn't to say the results wouldn't fall exactly in line with initial focus tests, but you never know until it's put to the test. That's why it's important for anyone wanting a camera / lens solution for sports and wildlife you really want hands-on feedback from those that really do that kind of work in the field.
Switching system involves quite a bit of learning. I just know that even for the advanced (N/C)camera, a flying subject still has to be focused before tracking. A lot and a lot to learn and relearn.

Meanwhile I would love Pentax to have a K10D ver 2 to give say 4-5 fps that will help me in my BIF endeavour with my shortish 300mm. Hope that is happending in spring.

Quote:
I have and will continue using my K10D and my BIGMA.

That is quite unlikely after a while. When you take off for any shots, you go for the best equipment in your arsenal.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:59 PM   #17

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
He was refering to focus tracking and I think this is very relevant to Rogers getting a 2nd inexpensive start kit

JohnG wrote:

Quote:
An important thing to keep in mind for sports shooters and anyone else who uses AI-Servo:

Pop Photo like most reviews DOES NOT APPEAR TO TEST FOCUS TRACKING. Initial focus lock is only part of the equation. It is equally important how well the camera can TRACK a moving subject.

Every competent, current sports shooter I have ever spoken with uses AI-Servo for much of their work. NHL asside, many wildlife photographers do too.

Now, that doesn't mean competant shooters are firing off 15 shot bursts. That is usually not the case. But, most will acquire and track a subject before firing. And, when they do shoot a burst they expect a good keeper rate. Put simply, if a camera gets a great first shot, but can't track well and (if you were to do so) had only a 30% in-focus rate in a 10 shot burst it isn't going to be a very good action camera.

So, the tests popular photo did, while important information, is only PART of the story. And for all sports photographers and most wildlife photographers, the missing part of the story is an important one.

This isn't to say the results wouldn't fall exactly in line with initial focus tests, but you never know until it's put to the test. That's why it's important for anyone wanting a camera / lens solution for sports and wildlife you really want hands-on feedback from those that really do that kind of work in the field.
Switching system involves quite a bit of learning. I just know that even for the advanced (N/C)camera, a flying subject still has to be focused before tracking. A lot and a lot to learn and relearn.

Meanwhile I would love Pentax to have a K10D ver 2 to give say 4-5 fps that will help me in my BIF endeavour with my shortish 300mm. Hope that is happending in spring.

Quote:
I have and will continue using my K10D and my BIGMA.

That is quite unlikely after a while. When you take off for any shots, you go for the best equipment in your arsenal.

Daniel, Toronto
Hi Daniel, thanks for the information. When I went to Bosque Del Apache I meet a guy with a Mark 3 and a 500 lens, he was really interested in my BushHawk so I handed it to him to try. He gave me his set up and told me to try it. I was shocked how fast it focused on flying birds.

He did e-mail me saying he is getting a BushHawk and I e-mailed him and told him about my order. We might meet again at Bosque the end of January.

I will at the very least have my K10D with my wide lens on for my background shots if nothing else. Not enough time to change lenses most of the time. I guess this means a new sty photo called a CANTAX.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote