Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

I went through the archives looking for workflows on how to best process RAW files and didn't see too much new.

I have the K100 with the Photo Browser and Laboratory software. (Not updated yet, I forgot there was one until just now.) Also have PSE5 which will work on RAW files.

When working with raw files, is it still standard procedure to do different things in the different programs? I adjusted the white balance (not called that, though) in Pentax, but wasn't easily seeing how to crop or do other things. This manual seems to be one of those "the ON button turns the item ON" manuals. I'm fairly comfortable with PSE5 and wondering if I might be better off just doing all adjustments to raw files in it.

Just curious what others are doing. I haven't shot too much in raw since the file sizes are so large and we have an old computer with limited memory to work with. But, when I knew I'd be doing snow shot in raw because I understood it would allow me more flexibility to set the white balance after the fact.

Thanks for any input. Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2

I haven't used the Pentax software in a while, I use Lightroom for most adjustments, then CS2 for resizing and sharpening. I've used the Pentax software some when my computer was in the shop (my husband's computer can't run CS2). As I recall, it's limited to making adjustments to white balance, contrast, curves but won't crop or resize pictures, so I'd use PhotoLab to convert to tiff, then open in Photoshop 6 (which does run on his old computer) for whatever else I wanted to do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:29 PM   #3

I rarely shoot in RAW unless I have issues with the lighting so I can change it if I have to. I tried the Pentax software and it did a great job but was slow at best, so I then started using ACR out of CS2 since it was much faster.

I don't use Lightroom, but do use Aperture at times and find it to be great but with a steep learning curve.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:33 AM   #4

Hi Patty

I am Sort of like Tom. I mostly shoot Jpg, unless the Conditions require or my preferance is to use RAW.
Having said that, i have tried the Pentax Software and just do Not like it(Interface). I have PSE 5, CS3, RSP and Lightroom. I really am Not that happy with the Adobe ACR. Lightroom is Ok.
The Program i use most is Raw Shooter Premium( Modified). The maker was bought out by Adobe , and the original version only Supported up to the DS. But i have a modified version that works with K100D/k10D. This program does pretty much everything, all the usual controls plus Cropping rotating, Sharpening, Fill Light , Curves.
After using RSP. i can either leave the image alone or send it To PSE5 for additional adjustments

Hope this Helps

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:43 AM   #5

phil,
links to update RSP ??
will it work with the k10d ??

patty,
i find ACR to be my best bet.

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:42 AM   #6

Thanks, Harriet, Tom, Phil and Roy. I don't usually shoot in RAW either. I'm at 9600 photos and I think in 17 months I've taken maybe 60 in raw. I've been trying to remember to use it when I might have WB issues as I understand that's one of the bennies of shooting in it.

I'll try the same shot I posted for the December challenge in PSE5 and see what I can do. And, check out the other programs here as possiblities. RSP sounds like a good bet to check, Phil. It does seem though that there is not a one stop raw program to use. I just thought I was being picky going between programs. I had also tried the noise reduction in Pentax, but couldn't figure it out either. I'll use Neat Image for that. Our computer has been mega slow this week and using the Pentax software it went to a crawl. I kept thinking it was because of the size of the files, but seems like it's the program.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:25 PM   #7

patty,
all i use is acr and PS and i shoot 99% in raw.. i've never needed anything more..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:59 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
phil,
links to update RSP ??
will it work with the k10d ??

patty,
i find ACR to be my best bet.

roy
Looks like RSP 2006 is no longer updated.

It never got as far as K10D

Adobe bought it to ensure people buy Lightroom, which is their reccommendation if you like RSP.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:22 PM   #9

Because I am saddled with a laptop that has a nice 2+Ghz P4 processor but only USB 1 and 512mb of ram, I shoot almost exclusively in jpeg. When I get a better computer in a couple of months I will probably shoot a lot more RAW images. My current computer takes forever to download memory cards and most of the RAW processors work at a crawl because of the RAM shortage.

Any suggestions on a low cost, but reliable and fast, laptop are appreciated.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:19 AM   #10

I always shoot in RAW. Use PSE v3.0 (with downloaded updates) for processing and don't need anything else since getting use to this programme. PSE opens up in Edit mode with the central window showing "File Browser". Couldn't be easier.

Cheers
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote