Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:19 PM   #1

Hi,

I just picked up a K10D with the kit 18-55mm lens and I'm looking for a tele zoom lens to go with it. I've been reading the reviews and threads and looking at some of the pictures, but I still can't decide. So I was hoping some of you could weigh in with your opinions.

I use to shoot with an ME Super 30 years ago, but got out of it after college. So I have some very old experience, but I'm pretty much a noob all over again.

I'm looking for a zoom lens mostly to shoot outdoor water sports (surfing and kiteboarding) and also as a general purpose zoom. I don't plan on doing any large prints mostly online albums and sharing pictures with friends.

Since my girlfriend will be using the camera I want to stay with a newer autofocus lens. I'd like to keep the price around $250 so these are the lens I've been looking at:

Pentax F/4-5.6 DA 50-200 ($215)
Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 DI LD Macro ($189)
Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro ($219)
Sigma 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 DG Macro ($259)

I'm leaning towards the 300mm lens just get a little better zoom. From what I've read people seem very pleased with their Sigma or Tamron 70-300mm. People seem to be pretty split on the Sigma 28-300mm. They either hate it or think it's a great value and the pictures are good. If the reviews weren't so split I'd probably go with the Sigma 28-300 just for the flexibility.

Has anyone compared the Sigma 28-300 to the other 300mm lens? Would a novice who isn't going to being doing enlargements even notice the difference in sharpness? I'd really like to go with the Sigma 28-300 but not if there is a noticeable difference in image quality

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2007, 4:36 PM   #2

SoCal wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I just picked up a K10D with the kit 18-55mm lens and I'm looking for a tele zoom lens to go with it. I've been reading the reviews and threads and looking at some of the pictures, but I still can't decide. So I was hoping some of you could weigh in with your opinions.

I use to shoot with an ME Super 30 years ago, but got out of it after college. So I have some very old experience, but I'm pretty much a noob all over again.

I'm looking for a zoom lens mostly to shoot outdoor water sports (surfing and kiteboarding) and also as a general purpose zoom. I don't plan on doing any large prints mostly online albums and sharing pictures with friends.

Since my girlfriend will be using the camera I want to stay with a newer autofocus lens. I'd like to keep the price around $250 so these are the lens I've been looking at:

Pentax F/4-5.6 DA 50-200 ($215)
Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 DI LD Macro ($189)
Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro ($219)
Sigma 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 DG Macro ($259)

I'm leaning towards the 300mm lens just get a little better zoom. From what I've read people seem very pleased with their Sigma or Tamron 70-300mm. People seem to be pretty split on the Sigma 28-300mm. They either hate it or think it's a great value and the pictures are good. If the reviews weren't so split I'd probably go with the Sigma 28-300 just for the flexibility.

Has anyone compared the Sigma 28-300 to the other 300mm lens? Would a novice who isn't going to being doing enlargements even notice the difference in sharpness? I'd really like to go with the Sigma 28-300 but not if there is a noticeable difference in image quality

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

I have the Tammy 70-300 and it is a nice one...I have a Siggy 100-300 and really like it too...The Tammy does better closeups though...I don't know about the Siggy 28-300 but am waiting like you to hear other's input on this...I know I didn't help much but It's all I could contribute!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:34 PM   #3

I would not recommend the Sigma 28-300. My copy of the lens was un-usable at any focal length....period. While I thought perhaps I had a bad copy, I did a more general (Google, rather than forum specific) search) and found the same opinion. Fortunatly I was able to return it. I had at the time and still have the Sigma 70-300 APO version and more than satisfied. Myprimary lens is a Sigma 28-70 Sigma and again more than satisfied, so nothing against Sigma.
robert383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 5:40 PM   #4

My walk around lens for my K10D is a BIGMA. 50-500 covers most things for me.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:31 PM   #5

i would not recommend the 28-300. it is pretty good up to 200mm, but after that the optical performance goes way down and images are not as sharp. the 28-200's are pretty decent. i would recommend the 70-300, either by sigma or tamron. i own the tamron and have had great results with it. the pentax 50-200 is a good lens too, but for the same price i'd rather have the extra reach.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:44 PM   #6

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
My walk around lens for my K10D is a BIGMA. 50-500 covers most things for me.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
DROOL!!!

SoCal - I'm a bit of a beginner but everything I've read about the Sigma 28-300mm said "No!". I have the Sigma 70-300mm APO and am very happy with it. Just love it at 300mm.

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:35 PM   #7

I have the Tamron 70-300 DI, and love it, its my walkaround lens these days.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:58 PM   #8

You'll need the extra reach of the 300mm lens for surfing etc. - in my opinion the 50-200 won't be long enough (at least it wasn't for me when I tried to take pictures of surfers from the Pismo Beach pier). From what other people have said, either the Tamron or the Sigma APO 70-300 would be a good choice. I ended up waiting around until I found a Pentax A*300 for sale (used, they no longer make them) since I already had the 50-200.

If you don't need it right away, you might want to wait until after Pentax announces the DA*300 in January (though this lens is most likely going to be out of your price range). Then you'll have an idea of when it's supposed to be available and can decide if you want to wait for it or get the Sigma or Tamron zoom (or watch the used lens market to see if some people will be selling theirs to buy the Pentax). I wouldn't wait if you need the lens right away, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote