Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:32 PM   #1

I sold my Canon Rebel XT and am getting K10D next week. So my question is should I get the kit lens or just the body? I am going to get a 50mm f/1.4 to start with, my main lens on the Canon was the 50mm f/1.8. I used it 95% of the time once I got it. I generally take candids of the kids. I will add something with zoom later, not sure what, so should I bother with the kit lens? The Canon kit lens I had just didn't cut it, it did okay but the 50mm was just a lot sharper, however I've read that Pentax kit lenses are much better.
Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:55 PM   #2

unless you had immediate plans to purchase a DA 16-45 or DA* 16-50, i'd say get the kit lens. all that you have read about the kit lens being a great performer is true.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:18 PM   #3

I have several 50mm lens for my K10D but for action shots of my Grandkids I go with the Kit lens. the focus in medium light is pretty good and I can get good photos of them on the move...

My Granddaughters Regan and Rachel with the Kit Lens and a little post processing.

Rachel

Regan

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:23 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I believe the kit lens is only $50 when purchased with the body...I use mine most of the time!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:32 PM   #5

I use the kit lens a lot, I let it go with my K100D so of course I ordered it again with the K10D.

And Dawg, excellent photos of your grandkids.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:43 PM   #6

I'm another person that uses the kit lens quite often. I've had opportunities during the last two years that I've been shooting Pentax dSLRs to upgrade mine, but haven't felt any need to do so. Here's a thread of 3 pictures I took a couple of days ago with the kit lens and the K100. My personal experience is that I get just as good shots with the K10 as I did here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80. The people who should probably skip it are the ones who know they want the DA*16-50 f2.8 right away.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:15 AM   #7

Yes, get the kid lens. If you do any landscape photography at all its pretty good.

Dawg, that second picture of the little girl is AWESOME! I love what you've done in post. Did you blur a layer then erase around the face?
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:59 AM   #8

Spiritbro77 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, get the kid lens. If you do any landscape photography at all its pretty good.

Dawg, that second picture of the little girl is AWESOME! I love what you've done in post. Did you blur a layer then erase around the face?
I posted an explanation of how I did this here........

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/w...ner-regan.html

Just scroll down the page a little and I try to explain step by step what I did.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:21 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies! I will get the kit lens and the 50mm now and add more later.
Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:54 PM   #10

double post
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote