Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1

We went to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum today. For those that aren't familiar with it, it is part botanical gardens, part zoo and completely fascinating. The plants and animals are native to the Arizona area, though I don't think you often find some of them walking around Tucson any more. I took a ton of pictures and still didn't take as many as I would have liked - I concentrated more on the animals than the plants since I don't have a chance to photograph them much.

This hawk was on the arm of her handler:

And just WHO do you think you are?

This only looks like a German Shepard - it's actually a Mexican Wolf.

I can't decide if this is a good picture or not. It's rather unique, but I think it might require too much explanation and perhaps I should consider it junk. Canyou tellwhat it is?

Does anyone know what bird this is? I don't think it looks like a Cardinal. I don't have my bird guide with me on the trip, so I don't know what it is. This one was a volunteer - a wild bird just hanging around.

Beep, Beep!

There's a large aviary. I took a ton of pictures (some good some terrible)but will have to go through them later. There's also a hummingbird compound, and a garden that will attract butterflies in the spring (there was one Monarch hanging around today).

Trying to Hide

This just isn't what I think of when someone says "sheep."

We had a wonderful time, and if anyone is ever in the Tucson area, this museum is wll worth a visit.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:59 AM   #2

Great pictures, Harriet. Number 4 is a real belly (up) laugher - you otter do more like it:G. I like the sheepish Bighorn, too. And, yes, it is a Cardinal.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:43 AM   #3

Hi Harriet,

Some very good work. I really like all of them, and the otter shot is definitely not junk.

I like animal shots where you can see humanlike expressions and attitudes in them, and the hawk (but they always have that look. . .), Ocelot (?), and bighorn shots are all exceptional in this.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:21 AM   #4

Nice photos, Harriet. I really like #2, 4 and 7. I knew what 4 was as they are one of my favorite animals. I love how you got the bubbles, too.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:27 AM   #5

So that really is a Cardinal? There aren't in our area and it's been so long since I've seen one. I don't remember them looking sort-of scruffy like that. Or maybe I never got quite so close to them before - even this wild bird was quite tame. The road runner isn't that good of a picture but the bird was such a character! And somehow I couldn't quite post a picture of him just standing there looking around.

Guess the river otter was pretty easy to figure out, then. They look like they have such fun playing in the water. And yes, I was pleased with the focus - just wasn't sure about the certain amount of motion blur and underwater distortion, I guess.

The Ocelot was interesting to watch, but we didn't see any of the other cats they have. The bear was fast asleep on its ledge, along with the fox, and the turtles were hibernating.

Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:02 AM   #6

Love all of these but the first two I like most....The expression on the cat's face is great and the bird photo is super sharp and 3-D-ish. That would be an otter swimming under water on it's back!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7

What a bunch of great captures. Looks like you had a fun day.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:15 PM   #8

Penolta beat me to it answering your questions, so whats left to me is to say YEAH!, I like them. Esp. the falcon, the ozelot (?), the otter, the cardinal and the Bighorn. The rest are also fine.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:45 PM   #9

Harriott, Very nice series. Here in N.Y. I'm getting 8-10 cardinals every night at their feeding time.

Jim
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:13 PM   #10

Thank you everyone for the compliments. I've started to work on the other birds and the plants (mostly cacti). I can't believe I took so few pictures of the various plants since that's normally what most of my pictures are of. Today we headed over to the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, but I wasn't all that impressed with the pictures (not as good as these).