Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 17, 2007, 5:09 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I recall about a month ago there was a thread on de-fishing software, but I was unable to locate it. Iwas browsing the web and came across PTLens athttp://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Has anyone used this software? Alternatively, are there any favorites out there?

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:20 PM   #2

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I recall about a month ago there was a thread on de-fishing software, but I was unable to locate it. IĀ*was browsing the web and came across PTLens atĀ*http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Has anyone used this software?Ā* Alternatively, are there any favorites out there?

Jay
Jay,

I heard that PTLens is pretty good. But it appears to be a standalone program and after defishing you still need to crop, resize or touch up if needed (correct me if I am wrong).

This is a reduced original jpg from my dslr at WA 16mm

This is the defished (one click with the ancient version No. 8 of PSP) of the same staircase in Ontario Museum.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:29 PM   #3

Hi Jay,

I think that you're probably thinking about my first impression of the DA10-17 post.

It's here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...798173#p798173

I just used the defishing capability included in t Paint Shop Pro XI. Since Daniel used it in v8, it's obviously included in some of the earlier versions. It's not the most sophisticated, but it's really easy, and works well, IMO.

I've seen quite a few examples done with PTLens, and they all looked good, with the users pretty universally impressed, so it would probably be a good choice.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:29 PM   #4

As you can see above, the PSP just needs you to prescibe the FoV of the desired image. In this case I think it was around 75 degree (originally 84 degree).

In my first original image , I had distraction at left middle. After defishing, I pushed out the distraction . There was not even need for cropping.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:20 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Daniel and Scott: Thanks for the info and the link to the prior thread. It was exactly what I was looking for.

I received my Pentax DA 10-17mm Fish Eye lens today and amlooking forward to working with it. Will post a few images soon once I get the defishing to work. I will download the trial version of PTLens (it allows you to manipulate 10 images) after which one needs a license number. I have poked around PSE and have not found any defishing capabilities except for a basic perspective change.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote