Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:49 PM   #1

Wild Turkey ( Not Whiskey )

I don't know why but very few wild turkeys around this year and they are a lot more skitish than prior years. They are always skitish but this year they are double or triple skitish.

This is where I found them 3 or 4 days ago. I tried to set up a ambush on the other side of the ridge when I found them and then again for the last two days. Today it worked they came by on their way to bed after breakfast. So have a goble goble kind of look and enjoy.

With a close up. The close up shot was about 1/2 mile from the background photo.

A few close ups as they went by on their way to bed.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2

Great pictures !!!! I do not know how you do it - Well I do - time, skill and patience. It certainly looks cooold out there.

A guy that I used to work with always had a Wild Turkey sandwich for lunch. Two slices of bread with a tumbler of Wild Turkey in between. He didn't last long.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:10 AM   #3

It's great to see the bird Benjamin Franklyn wanted as the national bird making a come back. They were hunted out in most of north Alabama but have made a remendous come back here and in other staes....I've hunted and eaten them and prefer Kentucky Fried Chicken myself...Always has a bit of wild taste to me....Beautiful captures Roger...I would hunt them today as you have...Let them live and prosper..

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:23 AM   #4

Nice shots Roger, turkeys are all over here and now that they are flocked up for the winter I may go out and take some shots myself.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 1:13 PM   #5

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Great pictures !!!! I do not know how you do it - Well I do - time, skill and patience. It certainly looks cooold out there.

A guy that I used to work with always had a Wild Turkey sandwich for lunch. Two slices of bread with a tumbler of Wild Turkey in between. He didn't last long.
Thanks for the nice words. I believe the real key to wildlife photos is stuborness and patience.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Dec 19, 2007, 4:27 PM   #6

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
I don't know why but very few wild turkeys around this year and they are a lot more skitish than prior years.
could it be because they became butterballs last month? you would think the turkey population goes down by several million right before thanksgiving.

regardless great pictures roger such great clarity!

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 5:15 PM   #7

good tracking roger.. we have no shortage here in texas of wild turkeys.. most people don't have an IDEA of how big these birds really are.. i love seeing people's faces the 1st time they see them.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 7:27 PM   #8

Nice shots of a very elusive bird Roger.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:01 AM   #9

Really nice shots, Roger. #4 is my favourite with the dark background. Sharp and crispy as usual.

The only turkey around here is in my freezer. Ill se if I can get a shot of it when it doesn't roam about.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:06 PM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
It's great to see the bird Benjamin Franklyn wanted as the national bird making a come back. They were hunted out in most of north Alabama but have made a remendous come back here and in other staes....I've hunted and eaten them and prefer Kentucky Fried Chicken myself...Always has a bit of wild taste to me....Beautiful captures Roger...I would hunt them today as you have...Let them live and prosper..

Dawg
Hi Dawg, hunting them with my camera is fun and also frustrating. They just seem to be smarter than me most days.

TOTALLY WACKY roger