Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:36 PM   #1

I'm currently using a Samsung GX-1S (*ist DS2) - New to DSLR, and am liking it alot. I'm thinking of buying another one in a couple of months or so. Might stick with Pentax, since I'm getting a few lenses for my GX.

GX-1S is = *ist DS2, which was launched in 2005 (GX in 2006). Then in 2006 there were K100, K110D, K10D. 2007 for K100D Super.

So, in this case, do pentax change alot since (2005)? I know the best bet for an upgrade/new camera is K10D, 10MP, weather resistant body, etc. Rr I could settle for Samsung GX-10.

Then there's this antishake thing, What about the image quality :: 6.1MP vs 6.1MP?

If I should buy another one, there's no different if I buy the KxxxD series? I could only see antishake added there. Image quality wise?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...d&show=all
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2007, 7:36 PM   #2

I started with Pentax with the K100d. If you are already using a Dslr and are looking to upgrade I think the K10d is the right course. I have not used a digital SLR without antishake but, having taken acceptable shots as slow as 1/6 at 300mm handheld, I am a believer. Do understand that even with antishake the ratio of bad to good shots goes way up at slow shutter speeds but it does allow me to get some shots that I do not believe I would otherwise get.

I use both the K100d and the K10d. Both of them are great cameras. The on-body controls and longer burst mode are well worth the modest price increase for the K10.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3

I originally bought the DS, but decided I wanted a longer lens than I could handle without SR. So I bought a K100 to go along with the DS. I didn't find much difference in image quality, but the SR made a big difference with longer focal lengths. My hubby bought me a K10 when they first came out last year, and I found the basic image quality very similar to the K100 and DS, but the camera's controls make it easier to make changes (and once in a while the extra mp come in very handy).

So what exactly are you looking for in an upgrade? If only SR then the K100 (K100 Super)is a good choice, expecially if you are planning on keeping the DS2 as a back-up/second camera body. The controls are the same as on the DS, which makes it easy to change back and forth between cameras. If you are looking for a camera that is more challenging, with more flexibility, then get the K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:57 PM   #4

Not really looking for an upgrade. More looking for a second camera. Then my GX will be like a backup or something. Might stay with Pentax. I find it easy to use. So, I'm wondering if it's worth to invest on a 10MP or just stay with the 6MP one (with SR). I'd like to know if the KXXX 6MP series are better than *ist series. Or just the added Shake Reduction that made it different.
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5

There are two differences I noticed between the DS and the K100 (at least as far as image quality goes) - the SR and they changed the bright/vivid mode. I never liked the DS's vivid mode, the first thing I did was to change it to natural. The first thing I did after getting the K100 was to change it to natural, then I went out and shot pictures. I didn't notice much difference between them except for the SR. However, later I happened to try the K100's bright mode and discovered that it wasn'tas over-processed as the DS's vivid mode. I still don't use it much though. Another difference is that the K100 has a pentimirror viewfinder while the DS has a pentaprism. I didn't find it made that much of a difference - the K100's pentamirror is quite bright so it isn't that hard to use. The K10's viewfinder is bigger and it is easier to read the various numbers at the bottom of it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote