Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2007, 8:22 PM   #1

Last night, I shot a high school band concert, shooting mostly with available light. Because of changes in set-ups on stage, etc. and the difficulty of moving to optimum shooting positions, I wound up changing lenses often, trying to get solid close-ups. The first of these was taken with the Tamron 70-300....f5.6. ISO on all shots was 1600, and all shots are handheld. Shutter speed was 1/10. (Piano player all the way across the stage.)

Second shot was also a pianist with the Tamron at f5.6....this one slowing the shutter even further....down to 1/6.

The final shot slows to 1/5 of a second with the Pentax DA* 50-135 at 135mm. F-stop was at 6.3. (I forgot to change it after a flash shot.)

To be honest, I was almost stunned when I went back and reviewed the shots afterwards and saw from the EXIF's just how sharp some of the shots were at really low shutter speeds. I know I'm not that steady of a shooter, so I have to credit the SR on the Pentax. A couple of other shots from the night, also without flash, but a little more reasonable shutter speeds.

Last two both taken with the DA* 50-135 at f2.8.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:30 AM   #2

That's impressive that you could get clear shots that slow. Overall, which lens did you prefer? My personal preference is for the three from the 50-135, but that's only from 5 shots. I realize that the 50-135 can't reach as far as the Tamron, but wondered about your choice for quality.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 6:44 AM   #3

Clearly, the shots from the 50-135 were superior overall. The most telling point would be the keep percentage. On the shots taken with the 50-135 there were almost no "automatic rejects." It was usually a matter of choosing the best of a group of acceptable shots.

The shots posted here from the Tamron represent the best from the lens and might represent one shot chosen from 8-10 at that pose with the others clearly suffering from motion issues. Even then the shots are still just a little soft. I was just pleasantly surprised to get shots as good as I did.

Other lenses I used during the concert but didn't post in this group were the FA 50mm (clean and crisp, but expectedly short on reach), the 18-55 kit lens (used at 18mm for a couple of large group shots), and the Sigma 28-200, only ones usable were a couple of flash shots. Flash was not restricted for this event; I just didn't get many keepers when shooting with it. I have some serious learning to get the best out of flash, both on-board and external. However, I did like this one, taken with the Sigma lens and external flash.

Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:47 AM   #4

Great shots and great examples of what shake reduction can do! I am amazed at how well it works and it has definitely helped improve my photos. Best of all, I rarely use my tripod anymore. One less thing to haul around all the time.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 5:04 PM   #5

paul,
these are great examples.. the 50-135 really shines.. you really can't compare a $200 lens to an $800 lens..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 5:05 PM   #6

Nice job, you must have very steady hands! I have one 300mm shot down to 1/6 but it is certainly the exception. Getting flash shots that I like continues to elude me most of the time. I want flash shots that don't look like I used flash. I think the one you posted qualifies.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 7:13 AM   #7

ishino wrote:
Quote:
Best of all, I rarely use my tripod anymore. One less thing to haul around all the time.
Amen to that! In addition to the hassle of hauling around a heavy tripod, I generally find it very limiting in terms of framing and composition.

Thanks for the kind comments from all. I can't help but find myself continually amazed by what the camera is capable of doing when I don't get in its way.

Paul
Old Dec 21, 2007, 9:32 PM   #8

Did you see the c|net review of the K10D? Where they said its "Shake Reduction only buys you a little over one stop"?

I shot this while playing around with a Vivitar Series 1 at 210mm. Didn't think much about it until later, when I realized that the photo was 315mm (with crop factor), hand-held, at 1/30 of a second.

Silly c|net.

Attached Images

Duck Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote