Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:23 PM   #1

hey my pentaxians, i bought into the darkside-that being of samsung 6 months ago, being only '16 it was my first dslr. I just wanted to show you guys my forst 6 months worth of photos,
problem is i cant really sell on any stock sites (2 sales in a year lol) so i was wondering if you guys could offer critique on my photography and say where its going wrong in a stock point of view,
thanks in advance,
Daniel-
(all taken with bog standard kit lens)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:46 PM   #2

I don't know anything about selling photos. Never have sold one of mine as I tend to give my prints away. But I thought the photos on your flickr page were really outstanding. It might help to know which two sold. Only advice I can offer is that maybe some of your photosare just not generic enough for widespread stock appeal...?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:11 PM   #3

I quite like your pictures, but I'm another one who's never sold a picture and have no idea how to go about it. All I know is thatmy photosdon't match the quality that I see from the pros, I still have much to learn.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:26 PM   #4

The only suggestion I would make regards composition. Some of your pictures seem to be "bullseye" shots with the main subject front and centre, they may look more dynamic (and be more saleable) if you tried some composition tricks such as the rule of thirds which would create off-centre images with more visual impact. I see no problems in the technical quality of your images, they are very well done. I especially like some of your nighttime street scenes with familiar landmarks in the background.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:55 AM   #5
TC3

Daniel i looked at your pics. While i like your pics there is nothing in there saying "buy me" and i agree with Ira that composition needs to be improved on. Anyone can point and shoot a pic but if you want it to stand out you are going to have to give it something extra and catch the viewers eye.

Goodluck

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:16 AM   #6

Red Royalty wrote:
Quote:
hey my pentaxians, i bought into the darkside-that being of samsung 6 months ago, being only '16 it was my first dslr. I just wanted to show you guys my forst 6 months worth of photos,
*problem is i cant really sell on any stock sites (2 sales in a year lol) so i was wondering if you guys could offer critique on my photography and say where its going wrong in a stock point of view,
thanks in advance,
Daniel-
(all taken with bog standard kit lens)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
The second thing that came to my attention is that you are a talented photographer (like all and particularly 2 halves & special carol). Simple and common subjects . Yet all of them outstanding.

The first thing that came to my attention is the copyright warnings of the photos. I have never seen any flikrs site have so prominant and so many warning marks . And in everyone of the description as well. The photos are , well, in 'flickrs' size. Why would you want to do that? Simply put. They look offensive IMO.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:22 PM   #7

Daniel, i appreciate what you have said, and i dont like them at all as well, but its just something i do, from a former site where i used to put these photos, i dunno about 16 people downloaded my work, so it was a bit annoying to me, however i heed your advice and will lower the opacity of the water mark and will downsize it, thanks
Old Dec 22, 2007, 1:57 PM   #8

I do think those huge watermarks are overkill especially since the only accessable images are the small low res ones.
You couldn't even get a 4x6 print from those so I don't see what you are so worried about.

If you allowed full-size images to be viewed, then sure, use watermarks.

It's a shame because there's some nice photos there, particularly the London Eye ones.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:56 PM   #9

well i did upload mostly fulsize? but from now on it will be no watermark thanks for advice