Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:45 AM   #11

Hello everyone - I, like Ira, have not been taking many pictures lately, mainly because I'm a wildflower person and they are not out now. I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope Santa brings you all some nice Pentax stuff under the tree.

I have one question on the new lenses? The DA35 Macro was introducedearly thisyear and I have not heard anymore about it. I think it would make a great "normal" lens with macro capability. Has anyone heard anything about this lens? - Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 10:55 AM   #12

The other thing that Pentax has failed to do is provide new zoom lenses in the focal lengths that most serious photographers truly desire..

For instance, what focal length zooms are Canon & Nikon selling the greatest numbers of to serious photographers??..

The 28-70mm f2.8 & 80-200mm f2.8 focal lengths, that's what!!..

Over the past 20 years zoom technology has matured & engineers have perfected the art of creating supremely usuable zooms that now rival, & in some cases even surpass comparable focal length primes..

So why were Pentax's first two serious f2.8 DA* zoom offerings in focal lengths that were not truly what the buying public desires??..The DA* 16-50mm f2.8 is a good start, but most Pentax users would agree that a 16-70mm f2.8 zoom would have been a better seller..If this lens was performing at or near the same level that the FA* 28-70mm f2.8 does, then I don't think that most people would care very much..But, real world usage seems to indicate that the performance of the DA* 16-50 is not nearly as good as Pentax users would like it to be..Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible lens, it's just not what we were expecting from & hoping for from Pentax in this focal length..

From posts that I've read, & people theat I've talked to locally, the DA* 50-135mm f2.8 is generally considered to be a better lens optically then the DA*16-50mm f2.8 is..But the single comment that I hear over & over is, "Why didn't Pentax make this lens a 50-200mm..It would be so much more useful in that focal length??.."

When they arrive on the shelves sometime in 2008, the yet to be seen DA* 60-250mm f4 and the DA* 300mm f4.5 are going to be recieved well if the lenses are optically good..Simply because Pentax currently has nothing else for us to purchase in these focal lengths that will suppossedly have the same performance characteristics as the FA* lenses had..But, if they were being offered as the DA* 60-250mm f2.8, & the DA* 300mm f2.8 Pentax would probably triple their sales; as performance glass is what wedding photographers, wildlife photographers, & anyone needing low-light performance is looking to purchase..

Rumor has it from Benjikan & others that Pentax is about to step into the high performance digital camera market early next year..A body with better high ISO performance as well as faster FPS..If this is true, then we can only hope that lenses to match these cameras are either ready to be released, or are in the pipeline for release in the immediate future..

Otherwise, more & more Pentax users like Roger will end up purchasing Canon & Nikon systems in order to have high-speed glass with high ISO & high FPS performance..

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:39 AM   #13

I remember the first day I got my DS and eagerly putting my old 50mm lens on it. I instantly discovered what they meant by the crop factor - I suddenly had the field of view of a 70mm tele lens instead of a normal lens. In my film day, my walk-about lens was a 70-210. However, when I first tried to walk-about with the 80-200 Kiron, I was frustrated by the crop factor and promptly bought the DA 50-200 to compensate. I'm now happily using the DA*50-135, which replicates my old 70-210 very closely (75 - 202). It's far more convenient for me than the 80-200 was.

The one downside of the DA*50-135 is its size and weight. It's fairly heavy (yes, I have two lenses that are heavier) and large - it barely fits in my Slingshot 200 bag, especially mounted. I suspect that I won't be getting the DA*60-250 f4lens because the pictures of the preproduction models make it look even bigger than the 50-135. I can imagine what a 50-200 2.8 lens would be like - it would be bigger still and definitely wouldn't fit in my bag. It would be nice to have extra reach with the 50-135, but as a practical matter, I wouldn't buy it. Same goes for a 300mm 2.8 - I've seen pictures of the FA*300 2.8 and Roy's Tamron Adaptall 300 2.8, and while I'd love to have the capabilities of either lens, I know that I'd hardly ever use them.

I think that it would be nice for Pentax to offer a 80-200 2.8, but since I already have (and love, by the way) the DA*50-135, I think I'd much rather buy a DA*200 f2.8 to compliment what I already have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 1:31 PM   #14

One thing I have learning since getting my K10D is that Pentax is off in their own little world. They do things and make choice based on what THEY want and not what the consumers want. Some of the choices they have made in camera features, camera operations and what products they release are just strange. It is almost as if the whole thing is a hobby for them and if they happen to sell somethings great.

Adobe is getting more like this. The features they decide to add to programs like Photoshop more and more feel like what their designers want and not what the customers want. Otherwise Photoshop would have by now had better noise reduction, lens distortion correct, action features and more.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2007, 7:00 PM   #15

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
One thing I have learning since getting my K10D is that Pentax is off in their own little world. They do things and make choice based on what THEY want and not what the consumers want. Some of the choices they have made in camera features, camera operations and what products they release are just strange. It is almost as if the whole thing is a hobby for them and if they happen to sell somethings great.

Adobe is getting more like this. The features they decide to add to programs like Photoshop more and more feel like what their designers want and not what the customers want. Otherwise Photoshop would have by now had better noise reduction, lens distortion correct, action features and more.

Robert
Hmmm, not sure I agree w/ this. Pentax likes to put in what "photographers" want.
Like a pc sync socket in their dslr, an easier to get to "spot meter" (and smaller spot).
I think some of their worst choices were when they followed the herd based on the "other" brands...
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:40 PM   #16

To get back on topic, Pentax has now taken the lead over Sony and Olympus as the best alternative to Canon and Nikon. When first posted here, Pentax was third, so your votes have counted.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 3:12 PM   #17

Ah, but following the other brands isn't the same as following what your customers want. If Pentax trully was all about their photographer customers they would be a lot more interactive with their customers. Explaining shipping delays, explaining why they choose detail sharpening and not edge sharpening and why they didn't add both to the camera and so on.

Occasionally Pentax and customers come eye to eye but I think that is more a fluke than because they listened.

This is why Pentax has such a small marketshare.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote