Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:52 AM   #1

Hello to all the Pentaxians Gurus!!!

Today...something uncommon...happens to my lovely K10D body!

As my native language IS NOT English...I will try harder to explicate myself as best & concise as possible...trusting that all of you will comprehend exactly what is my problem!:?

So...today I want to check "The Depth of Field"...trough my SMC-A prime lens...after 8 times that I move the "Main Switch lever to the right position"...the 9th time as you can see at my attached first photo...the F stop aperture stay at F:22 all the time...& the "Main Switch lever"...suddenly "HAS" a differently feelings...much more "Softly/freely"...you can understand how I feel...:?

Now I withdraw the lens & check very deeper the lens aperture lever...it's as you will see at my second attached photo...also there I try to write something...but i selected an a very little font...sorry folks...it's my first time that I use such feature...not easier at my age to comprehend well how to use it...Please try to read.

I will try to explain on the second photo...OK?:P

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 9:09 AM   #2

Hello again to all Pentaxians Gurus!

Now i will try to explicate this attached second photo...desiring, your fully explication; regarding how to return my camera as was before...now I learn that NO more "Playing"...with my lovely K10D...NO more Depth of Field checking...

Amongst all of us...once I read in a Pentax forum...sorry can't call up where or which forum was...what I remember well that was also with pictures of how to repair same "Mishandling" as take place to me today:?

Also...seems me that something "Moves from his original position"...the "Hammer Lever" (If i can call so...?); that close the diaphragm...for my common sense after 45 years of been an a technical Photographer was NOT so high as now at upper location...also such "Pin" at the other extreme don't remember...that I saw it ..., for me was hidden or more down that now...!!??; yes I change lenses ONLY 4 times...so 100% sure I'm NOT!!!.

Thanks so much for your noble action helping me to remedy this unhappy failure.

Peace,

Attached Images

Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:49 AM   #3

i don't know how to help you alex except to take the lens off and try another.. are you sure that the lens is totally mounted. the blades will stay closed down until the lens is mounted.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 10:57 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
i don't know how to help you alex except to take the lens off and try another.. are you sure that the lens is totally mounted. the blades will stay closed down until the lens is mounted.

roy
Hello my dear Roy,

Yes the blades are close...AND REMAINED CLOSED...till I hear the "Click" and the end clockwise. Second...i try the same lens on the Film got it with the lens a Super Program one...& when the lens get the "Click"...(The Pin...enters to the hole on the lens")...the blades are WIDE open to 1,4.

No Roy...it's something that "Goes Off" from his place inside the "Hammer lever" in the "Left' side (Viewing form the front (As I snap the first photo!), I'm 100% sure!

Have a nice weekend!:-)

Peace,

Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:05 AM   #5

see what it does with the kit lens. can you use the DOF preview with it???

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:01 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
see what it does with the kit lens. can you use the DOF preview with it???

roy
Hi Roy,

Just released the shutter ar "X' (1/180 seg) WITHOUT any lens...the "Hammer lever"...look my second photo STAY STATIC/DON'T MOVE.:angry:

So here is the problem...as I said...something during my "Depth On Field" checking...inside the body moved or get stuck...NOT allow to such as I call it "Hammer Lever" to move up>down extremely faster (Maybe depending on the shutter speed), or synchronized with the mirror/shutter speed...:?

Now that I recognized...the problem...HOW to fix it...with NO dismantling the whole lens flange???. Again i read about this failure but I can remember if was on the K10D or K100!.

Peace.

Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:26 PM   #7

Folks!

Seems me that this is my problem...!:P

The stop down on my K100D, DS bodies and the K10D look exactly the same to me. Assuming that is the case, I had this happen to me on one of my DS bodies and fixing it was relatively simple:
There is a little spring that hooks over one end (the lower end or the end closest to the bottom of the camera) of the actuator part that slides up and down. The spring keeps the actuator held down until the gear moves the whole assembly up. The spring came unhooked from the stop down actuator.
You can probably see just the end of the spring (it is actually just the straight part, hard to explain) if you look closely next to the actuator near the bottom.
Move the actuator up manually and then using a fine tweezer or maybe the end of a paper clip or something similar, push the spring end up and towards the center of the mount or away from the silver K mount ring, pushing it up around a little protrusion on the bottom of the actuator. It will snap to the left (looking into the camera) around the little protrusion that sticks out on the actuator and then it will hold the actuator down as it should.
Sorry if this is confusing, but if you look at it closely, I think it will be obvious.
Ray

Now really I'm very angry & tired...so tomorrow I will try as he wrote! I will inform you the results!!!

Peace,

Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:43 PM   #8

Good luck Alex, if the camera is still under warranty I would contact Pentax before I would try anything on my own.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 4:23 PM   #9

Hi Alex

I have to agree with Ira. If there is any chance its under warrenty, you should get it back to Pentax. If not I wish you best of Luck Fixing It

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 8:47 PM   #10

Alex

I just checked my K10D and activated the DOF preview switch without sa lens attached to see what happens.

You are correct the cam lever should be lower down and when activated, you can hear it quite clearly as it is pulled up to obvioulsy close down the aperture blades.

I am not sure if it is a spring return mechanism and your spring has come off or it is electronically controlled and your electronics have gone.

If it is spring return......Have you tried push it back down?...gently??

If it does it might assist in putting the spring back on.

Otherwise...as the guys say...if it is still under warranty, then send it back in for repair.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote