Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 22, 2007, 3:54 PM   #1

All came from F50mm1.7. The last one came from Sigma 24-60 F2.8

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2007, 4:12 PM   #2

I like what you've done with these shots, Daniel. I really liked 1, 6, & 8 for the poses and expressions; however, on both the first and last, there was some problem with blown highlights on the shoulders and chest.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 6:40 PM   #3

Two more pict just uploaded

First one from 50mmF1.7 and the 2nd one from Sigma 24-60mm F2.8

Daniel
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:25 PM   #4

dan,
these are all real good but would probably benefit from a little softening.. IMHO

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:36 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
dan,
these are all real good but would probably benefit from a little softening.. IMHO

roy
I don't get it. Most of the pict were in like F.2 to F3.2. Only one is F3.5

Quote:
however, on both the first and last, there was some problem with blown highlights on the shoulders and chest.
Trojansoc

You are right particularly the last one (first bunch of pict). I need to clone out part of upper right and I did a lousy job. After resaving , the blown highlight somehow tends to be more prominant.

Daniel
Old Dec 23, 2007, 12:08 AM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
dan,

roy
I don't get it. Most of the pict were in like F.2 to F3.2. Only one is F3.5

Quote:
however, on both the first and last, there was some problem with blown highlights on the shoulders and chest.
Trojansoc

You are right particularly the last one (first bunch of pict). I need to clone out part of upper right and I did a lousy job. After resaving , the blown highlight somehow tends to be more prominant.

Daniel
I would say the beauty of the subject made these photos Daniel but that wouldn't be true...She helped that's all. One day when I grow up I want to shoot these as good as you...One day....It's gonna happen...LOL Very good my friend! You do inspire me!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:12 AM   #7

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Daniel
I would say the beauty of the subject made these photos Daniel but that wouldn't be true...She helped that's all. One day when I grow up I want to shoot these as good as you...One day....It's gonna happen...LOL Very good my friend! You do inspire me!
The local photo club had a member (same as my daughters' age) willing to provide the venue. And some amateurish models showed up as well. In this situation, the models could hardly concentrate as there were 4-5 cameras shooting her the same time.
But who cares. With beautiful subjects, I had a leisury and good time. With zero zippo knowledge of the light equipments (usu Canon/Nikon based) , I took only ok snapshots

Daniel, Toronto
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:48 AM   #8

Quote:
The local photo club had a member (same as my daughters' age) willing to provide the venue. And some amateurish models showed up as well. In this situation, the models could hardly concentrate as there were 4-5 cameras shooting her the same time.
But who cares. With beautiful subjects, I had a leisury and good time. With zero zippo knowledge of the light equipments (usu Canon/Nikon based) , I took only ok snapshots
Don't sell the quality of your shots short. They were very good, particularly if you were sharing your model and lighting with other photographers--far better than "only ok shapshots." (Add the first shot in the second group to the ones I really liked.)

I have never done any shooting with studio lighting, but I'm wondering if this might be a situation with an ND filter might be appropriate....reducing the highlights while preserving DOF. Since you were sharing your lighting with other photographers, there was little you could do to fine-tune the lights themselves. You were also working very close with a 50mm. It makes me wonder whether youhad any problems with shadowing and avoiding getting other photographers in your shots.

I, too,am a newbie when it comes to portraits, and all of my portrait work has been out of doors. However, I notice the highlights problem because it's one with which I have struggled. I haven't had much success fixing by cloning. Working this close, it just tends to look unnatural (probably more an indication of my lack of skill at the technique).

I'm not sure I agree with Roy on the need for softening. The only shot which I consider crisp is the first one, and I think it adds to the lines of the young lady's face, particularly around the eyes.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:09 AM   #9

Hi Daniel,

For someone that is a newbie to protraits they turned out great! What matters is do you like the results?

Maybe if the models were older I would do a little softening, But with younger people there are not the lines and wrinkles to smooth out.... :G

I think I will stick to my landscapes, Events and Car Shows..... LOL!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2007, 9:11 AM   #10

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Two more pict just uploaded

First one from 50mmF1.7 and the 2nd one from Sigma 24-60mm F2.8

Daniel
I really like these last two because of the more natural "look" of the model, her eyes look more "directed" than they do in some of the earlier shots. This sounds like a great way to work on portrait technique, amazing that the DOF is so large considering the apertures you were using. Well done.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote