Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:18 AM   #21

Well my first choice for the year is easy, this is the only shot I have ever had enlarged to 16x20 (and it came out great).

Ya'll have seen this one recently:

The third choice was tough, there are a number of photos that I really like well enough to put in my top 3, but then it would not be 3 anymore. In the end I picked this one:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:43 AM   #22
TDN

Thanks for all the kind comments

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

This one is just perfect dawg! I bet the mommy has a enlarged print on the wall in the living room?

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:45 AM   #23
TDN

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

Ya'll have seen this one recently:

Wow, stunning photo Tim! The DOF and composition are right on!
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:47 AM   #24

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Well my first choice for the year is easy, this is the only shot I have ever had enlarged to 16x20 (and it came out great).

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tim
Tim,

I do not think I saw this one before. Keeper amongst the keepers. And at F2.8 ? Was it done in macro setting which usu starts at F8 if not F16.
Amazing that you have the wing and the head in focus and practically everything off focus

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:26 PM   #25

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the kind comments

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

This one is just perfect dawg! I bet the mommy has a enlarged print on the wall in the living room?

Tom
She won't do that Tom...This one is of Regan and her twin sister Rachael would feel bad she doesn't have one. I'm trying to get one of Rachael to go with it but so far nothing close to this good. Thanks for your kind comments though!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:27 PM   #26

Tim those are three very different photos. I do love the macro though...Very very good indeed!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:35 PM   #27

TDN wrote:
Quote:
[align=center]
This one was shot a day after I got my Jupiter-9 85mm f2. I love how this lens makes the subject "pop out".

[/align]
I agree, the trumpet especially has a 3d effect (this is also due to your good composition). Do they make the Jupiter-9 in a K mount or is it screw mount only?

Tim
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:44 PM   #28

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Tim,

I do not think I saw this one before. Keeper amongst the keepers. And at F2.8 ? Was it done in macro setting which usu starts at F8 if not F16.
Amazing that you have the wing and the head in focus and practically everything off focus

Daniel
Thanks Daniel. I was using the Kiron 105mm macro and I was pretty close to the butterfly but it just kept still. So I kept opening up the aperture one stop and shooting again until I had it wide open. I think I chose a shot at f/4 or f/5.6 for the print but I love the bokeh in this one.

Thank you Tom and Dawg for the nice comments, I have had a lot of fun with Pentax this year.

Tim
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:55 PM   #29

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
penolta wrote:
Quote:
Here are mine - the first is probably my all-time favorite. There are some later ones I might like as much as the other two. It was hard leaving out a butterfly, but I couldn't make a choice, and I didn't want to use any composite photos - that would be sneaking in extra images.

Very nice Penolta, is that a golden ground wasp? I saw some of those for the first time this summer (had to google to figure out what they were) and found them to be very elusive.

Tim
Thanks Tim. It isone of theSphecid (or "regal wasps") wasps,called the Great Golden Digger Wasp.

Tim, was the butterfly picture you posted here taken in Florida or on your West Indian trip?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 1:46 PM   #30
TDN

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I agree, the trumpet especially has a 3d effect (this is also due to your good composition). Do they make the Jupiter-9 in a K mount or is it screw mount only?

Tim
They only make (or made) 'em in M42 and M39 mounts. Be careful not to pick up the M39 mount because I think it has the register distance for a rangefinder.

It does have a special aperture ring though, you can select 1 aperture by turning one ring, and then manually close it to that aperture. (not in clicks like modern lenses, but with a smooth movement)
That way you can focus wide open, but take the shot at the preset aperture.

I mainly use it at f2.8 since it becomes quite sharp from there on and it's excellent for portraits that way, and it's still bright enough to focus accurately.

Tom