Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:43 PM   #61

These are all AWESOME! There's really only one picture this year that really stood out (the raindrop on the spider web shots I posted). I've taken a number of other shots that are good, but nothing that stands out in my mind - I'll keep looking back. If nothing else, this has gotten me to finish organizing this year's pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:25 AM   #62

ishino, I just love the baby photo. I'd never seen that one before. I had attempted to photograph my grandson holding his dad's fingers when he was little, but myresults were terrible. I wasn't quite sure how to pose them and now the opportunity is gone forever. The one that posed okay is blurry.

I also still love the gorilla's "taking a break" photo. Cracks me up every time I see it, too.:G

Now I can't see all the images, but I do really like your grass one, Rick. Beautiful. And, although can't comment on other specific ones have been impressed by what others have posted. My inspiration to improve this year.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:19 AM   #63

Crashman, those are three really good shots. You also had a shot (I think it was last year) of a WW II era Japanese ship laying by the beach and surf. That one stuck with me if I had been picking your photos it would have been one of the three.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:39 AM   #64

Rick, that shot of Manchester Eye isvery nice, though it does put me in mind of the ferris wheel in the city by Chernobyl. Shapes, colors, reflections, there is a lot going on this shot that causes me to pause and look longer.

Fl_Gulfer, nice timing on your birds in sunset shot, they give the shot something extra.

Rick, I love that grass shot. You really should see if you can sell it Microsoft to be a wallpaper for some future version of windows. I was surprised you did not include an example from your field and track shots, you had some excellent sports shots this past year as well.

Jachol, great macros and closeups,Ilove macro work and Ialways like seeing yours.

Ishino, your babe in arms shot is justgreat. I really wish I had been into photography when my children were born, I would have copied that shot. Heck, my wife is an OB nurse and I have considered going to her job and looking for random volunteers.

Tim

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:05 PM   #65

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

Jachol, great macros and closeups,*I*love macro work and I*always like seeing yours.*

Tim
Thanks for your comment Tim, I too love macro work, I think these were among the best that I produced in 2007, I'm looking to refine the technique more this year. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:47 PM   #66

I am still just thinking, I will probably end up posting the Gibson's bottle from a few days ago, the portrait of an actress I did last winter and one of my Gannet shots from the bird sanctuary, but I really don't know...

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:57 PM   #67

penolta wrote:
Quote:
It is a good thing this topic isn't a contest - the competition would be FIERCE! :shock:
P,
fierce isn't the word for it..

ishino, the babe pic is stunning!!!

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 2:20 PM   #68

Well, here we go:

First from yesterday: Just a bokeh test but I like it.

Secondly, from July, the RCMP musical ride: (SMC A 70-210mm f4, thank's Roy)

And this portrait of a little girl, taken in June.

I am really grasping here, there were a number of "vertical landscapes" that I also considered but I chose these because each represented a very different circumstance.

The Gibson's bottle was a challenge to myself to produce a creative Christmas light image with perhaps a little humour. Itbecame a lens test of bokeh effects (see http://www.aicphotography.blogspot.com/)

The musical ride shot was based on a simple premise, my wife Annette and I both went to the show, she had the kit lens on the DL so rather than duplicate any focal length's with the Sigma I decided to go for something very different, and challenging, a very sharp MF zoom, the excellent A-series 70-210mm f4. Roy rescues lenses as well as dogs.

The little girl's portrait was part of a little job I did, portraits of a little girl who was on her way to a pre-school graduation. They wanted the usual array of colour shots showing her in her pretty outfit, but I managed to sneak in a couple of more ""interesting" shots like this black and white square crop with a hint of grain added to give a colour film look. I just gave them a disk of printer-ready images so I don't know if this was ever printed (probably not, square crops are not that popular).

I am leaving these now because in an hour I will have thought of three others I should have used. It hasn't been a great year for creative images on my part but there are always those you feel have some potential.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:25 AM   #69

I narrowed my list down to 12 photos, and after a few early cuts, it became very difficult to choose. Here are my pics, in order of increasing favoriteness.

Piano Solo - Olympus C-7070

I did the lighting for this one using the hall's light board.

Focal Point - Olympus C-7070

American Horse - Minolta XG-1, 50mm f/1.4 MD Rokkor-X, Fuji Superia Reala 100 ISO, ND Filter

My favorite of the year.

2007, my second full year of serious photography, was a good year, but my Olympus point and shoot was really beginning to frustrate me. Christmas left me with a D80, a 17-55 f2.8 lens, and a nice flash. So far it's been unbelievable working with that thing after suffering so long with the C-7070. I'm really looking forward to shooting in the new year.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:19 AM   #70

Well, seeing as that I only had my K10D for the last couple of weeks of 2007 I don't have a lot to choose from just yet.....

Anyway from my one trip out with it so far I would pick these three:

markmorb is offline   Reply With Quote