Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1

Following a wonderful Christmas dinner, my son and I took our Pentaxes out to a small lake where a flock of Trumpeter Swans winters in north-central Arkansas. Sure enough, it wasn't hard to find seven swans a swimmin'

Actually, finding seven was easy....in fact, 28 crowded into this shot

There are well over a hundred in the flock. The occasion for the crowding was onlookers who were pelting the water with corn. This gave us a good chance to confirm what the bird books say about how aggressive these peaceful-looking creatures can be

Each chase was followed by a great deal of wing posturing. What I found interesting was that it was usually the guy who was chased away who did the most posturing. hmmm.... this is sounding more and more like my children when they were smaller

Most of these were taken with the DA*50-135, but don't blame it for any blown highlights. It wasn't the dummy who forgot to check his Exposure Compensation, which was set at +0.7 from some earlier shots.

I'm not posting any of the shots my son took with his K100d since his were better than mine. :blah:

LOL...I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:21 AM   #2

Other than the occasional blown highlight, these are really good - you managed quite a bit of detail in the wings. One day I went down to a really good birding spot and forgot that the K10 was still set on ISO 1600. I ended up deleting most of them as I wasn't close enough to compensate for the loss of detail caused by noise reduction software.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:30 AM   #3

Considering the +0.7 factor and the high contrast these came out very well.

Enjoy.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:57 AM   #4

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Considering the +0.7 factor and the high contrast these came out very well.

Enjoy.

Ira
ira?
where did you get the +.7 Ev info from???

ira's right tho. when i'm out shooting the pelicans here i shoot in raw and usually have the Ev set somewhere at -0.7 to -2 to preserve the hi-lites.. that or shoot in manual Ev. you'll be surprised at how much detail you can get. do a little burning in and you're set. you can't burn in what's not there tho.

roy
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:08 AM   #5

Roy, the +0.7 was in the text and represented asenior momentof mine to check it before I started shooting.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 12:22 PM   #6

don't feel bad. i grabbed just the cam the other day and got out to where i was going to shoot and had no memory card.. now i have 256m card in the car along with an extra cable release that i tend to forget..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:00 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
don't feel bad. i grabbed just the cam the other day and got out to where i was going to shoot and had no memory card.. now i have 256m card in the car along with an extra cable release that i tend to forget..

roy
After doing just that same thing a few times, I found a way around it. I always keep a card in my card reader, so when I pull a card out of my camera, the one in the reader goes directly into the camera.

And, should that fail....there's always the extra memory card in the battery grip. I'll use any trick I can to remember everything, and I still forget, lol.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:42 PM   #8

Very nice images, Paul.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote