Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:24 PM   #11

"Horses for courses", I just read an item on owning multiple camera systems that was very interesting. In my Film days I owned Pentax 35mm cameras and a Yashica TLR for some medium format work. Later I expanded to include a fairly extensive Minolta Maxxum system right alongside of the Pentax gear. This did not seem strange to me at the time. Along came digital and dSLR prices were astronomical compared to the film cameras, but now that has changed. Now we can consider owning different camera systems to perform different roles, for instance a Fujifilm Finepix S5 with some nice Nikon lenses for portrait or wedding work, a Nikon D40 for p&s duty, a Pentax K10d with a new DA* zoom for hostile environments (or alternately an Olympus E3 system) (note I am not looking to the top end Canon or Nikon because these are still very expensive), a Nikon D300 with a long lens for BIF shots, a Canon 5D with some wide glass for landscapes, a SONY for all of those old Maxxum lenses... As you can see, "Horses for courses". This list just touches on some of the more obvious choices.

Brand loyalty??!! I am "loyal" to Pentax because they have met my needs (and given me a free lens ). That loyalty does not mean that I will not consider, or purchase another brand of DSLR. If my needs demand it I will buy into another system, Olympus, SONY and Nikon have always been on my short lists and Canon isn't out of the question either ( OK Sigma is a very long shot).

I am currently an amateur photographer, an appellation that I am quite proud of, meaning that I do this because I like it. Sometimes I make a few bucks from it (I have covered most of my expenses in the past three years), but I am far from a professional. If photography were to become a greater part of my actual income I would definitely be looking at other camera systems to fulfill specific needs, which means that, like Roger, I would not necessarily replace my Pentax system, just fill in the gaps in my needs. Since this is not likely to happen (and later model Pentaxes such as Annette's new K100D Super have much better image processing and SDM compatability) I will probably not expand, however, if the price is right...

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:15 PM   #12

I'm an experienced photographer. But, up until a few months ago when I baught a used Nikon D50,I never even used autofocus let alone digital (other than a P&S) My fist pic sucked. You have to learn how to use new equipment and get used to it as well. (Which I still haven't done) Before you get good results, no mater what brand. For film I have used Nikon, Pentax, Cannon, Yashika you name it. The only one I disliked was Cannon. And that was more about "feel" than anything else. They are all good cameras. I stick with Nikon mainly because I have so many lenses etc. which it has taken me years to get on my budget.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 3:33 AM   #13
TC3

I have been playing with the idea of going with a second system too. I looked at D40 and Sony 100 but something has held me back. If i start on another system i will not be able to go for another Pentax body for a very long time and might find myself lusting for one of the new ones due. Then again if i went with the D40 and a vr zoom i would have a good body and lens and keep primes on the k100 or if i got the Sony i could get that lens i have always wanted....Tamron 17-50 2.8....tough call.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 8:10 AM   #14

To me the lenses are the system, and the body an accessory item. I have Pentax because I had Pentax. When I bought my first I chose Pentax for size, ergonomics and the K-mount. When the K10 was introduced the size argument fell, and the K-mount isn't much of an advantage any longer.

The difference in bodies are much smaller than the differences in shooting skills. IMO a good photographer can take good photos with any body, at least with any DSLR.It's more about looking, positioning and timing than about fps and af accuracy.

If I was to start fresh as from today, I'd probably not go with Pentax simply because it wouldn't be on the shelf in any nearby store, and no salesman would promote it.As far as I can see there's no crap available from any brand. On the other hand the two biggies aren't any better than the others, as long as you dont step up to the pro level - and the pro level prices.

As yet my DS is above my talent and skills, I can grow with it for years to come. And a very convincing argument for buying Pentax is the possibility to be part of this little community, so much more rewarding than any other Forum I've checked on the whole world wide web.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:42 AM   #15

The lack of long, fast AF lenses for the Pentax system has me considering the possibility of adding a second camera/lens combo for outdoor sports under the lights. Current e-bay prices for Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lenses for the Pentax have exceeded their original list price--I've seen them go as high as $ 1300. (The Adorama price new was about $ 900.) If you can find the Pentax version of the same lens, going rate is just under $ 2000.

The Canon version of the same lens is selling between $ 550-750, and a Canon 30D body can be had for about $ 600. In addition, the Canon allows usable ISO up to 3200.

I'm not going to do anything for a while, waiting to see what, if anything, Pentax and/or third party lens manufacturers will be introducing this spring.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:00 AM   #16

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
The lack of long, fast AF lenses for the Pentax system has me considering the possibility of adding a second camera/lens combo for outdoor sports under the lights. Current e-bay prices for Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lenses for the Pentax have exceeded their original list price--I've seen them go as high as $ 1300. (The Adorama price new was about $ 900.) If you can find the Pentax version of the same lens, going rate is just under $ 2000.

The Canon version of the same lens is selling between $ 550-750, and a Canon 30D body can be had for about $ 600. In addition, the Canon allows usable ISO up to 3200.

I'm not going to do anything for a while, waiting to see what, if anything, Pentax and/or third party lens manufacturers will be introducing this spring.

yes but that canon setup would not have IS for that price. a canon 70-200 f/2.8 with IS would cost you $1500+ and IS has become such an important feature to me, any other system would have to include it.

i paid $1250 for my sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and i too thought about going the canon or nikon route for fast long glass, but by the time i really factored the totalcost it seemed to be still in the best interest to just pay the premium for the sigma. maybe if you do not have an investment in lenses, flahes, extra bodies, batteries, etc...already, but for me it was wiser to stay and pay.

but back the original topic. my experience with a nikon d50 was that it tended to blow out more highlights by overexposingthan my pentax. maybe they fixed that with thenewer models?

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:51 AM   #17

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
As yet my DS is above my talent and skills, I can grow with it for years to come. And a very convincing argument for buying Pentax is the possibility to be part of this little community, so much more rewarding than any other Forum I've checked on the whole world wide web.

Kjell

This summarizes my main reason for being happy with my choice. Forums dedicated to other brands are often far too gear-oriented or seem to spend too much time telling each other how much better their brand is than anyone elses. Here we post pictures... a novel concept for a photography forum it seems.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 11:57 AM   #18

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

Kjell

This summarizes my main reason for being happy with my choice. Forums dedicated to other brands are often far too gear-oriented or seem to spend too much time telling each other how much better their brand is than anyone elses. Here we post pictures... a novel concept for a photography forum it seems.

Ira
And we help each other understand the way those photos were taken..Opening up new vistas to be explored! Novel indeed. I like most the way manners are remembered and practised.. Now in this day and age THAT is a Novel concept!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2007, 2:11 PM   #19

I migrated here from the Panasonic forum and a couple of others have as well. It has been the most active of all makes and models here at Steves site. As for the dSLR it is here where the fun is at. I learned so much about photography. I enjoy the posts and ideas shared here and hope to continue to learn more as I go.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote