Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:58 PM   #1

Recently bought new Nikon D40 with 18-55mm Nikkor kit lens. Had heard many stores about Excellent JPEG images right out of the camera and wanted a camera as backup to my Pentax K10D.

Have only tested it short time, but don't see much better JPEGS from D40 compared to those out of my K10D. Will test D40 on two month FL vacation so will tell more then. It is a very light weight camera and easy to carry.

More on my experiences later

whbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:35 PM   #2
TC3

Erm would this post not be better in a NIKON forum?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:33 PM   #3

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Erm would this post not be better in a NIKON forum?
Probably not. Here, he's relating an experience; there, he'd be construed as trolling, I suspect. *Grin*
Duck Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:01 PM   #4

I saw many comparisons of the Pentax, Nikon , Sony, and Canon cameras last year....So far I've not seen that much difference. Hope you have a good vacation and do more comparisons....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:34 AM   #5

Personally, I am not surprised. I think most of the complaints about the K10Ds JPEGs have come from people moving from Point and Shoot to dSLR. Those going from dSLR to another I don't think have such complaints.

I had the JPG complaint and after more than a year with my K10D no longer have that complaint. Though I have to be honest I have gotten so used to shooting DNG's that I really don't like JPGs any more. But, when I need high-speed shooting (many shots per second) I will use JPG and have no issues with it other than I don't like the compression (destorys too much data) and I find I miss the amount or correction one can do with a RAW file vs. JPG.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:15 PM   #6

I have the Pentax ist DS which underexposes. I have the K100D and I like the DS better (SR is not a deal breaker to me nor stabilized lenses). I have the D40 and it has been the best camera in default settings I have ever used. The fact there is no motor and that there are not as many lenses to choose from is a matter of personal needs. I am not a fanboy of any make. Each make has their pluses and minuses based on what the user wants or needs and what they can or are willing to afford.

I use the D40 like a P&S but has definitely better images than a P&S. I have the 18-200 VRII on it with the SB 400 flash made specifically for it and it is a great combination. I also have two Nikon D200 bodies and some very good glass (whichis easier to come by than Pentax). The two bodies was for the weddings I have been shooting and I don't like to change lenses all that much. I used to the D40 for the reception dances and was very happy with the results. Easier to use and carry around in crowded spaces and places.

The use of flash with the Pentax has been a headache for me and a challenge which I don't believe it should be. The Nikon is in my opinon the best of all that there is out there when it comes to flash photography. I am aware of the different beliefs and thoughts about the use of flash but it is available to expand the use of your camera and also enhance the image you are taking.

I shoot jpeg only and take many shots and just don't want to take the time to do much in post process. Bottom line people I shoot for love the results so that is all that matters. They don't care what I shoot with or what file format it was taken as.

Pixel peeping and brandbashingis another hobby in itself to me.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 3:48 PM   #7

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I have the Pentax ist DS which underexposes. I have the K100D and I like the DS better (SR is not a deal breaker to me nor stabilized lenses). I have the D40 and it has been the best camera in default settings I have ever used. The fact there is no motor and that there are not as many lenses to choose from is a matter of personal needs. I am not a fanboy of any make. Each make has their pluses and minuses based on what the user wants or needs and what they can or are willing to afford.

I use the D40 like a P&S but has definitely better images than a P&S. I have the 18-200 VRII on it with the SB 400 flash made specifically for it and it is a great combination. I also have two Nikon D200 bodies and some very good glass (whichis easier to come by than Pentax). The two bodies was for the weddings I have been shooting and I don't like to change lenses all that much. I used to the D40 for the reception dances and was very happy with the results. Easier to use and carry around in crowded spaces and places.

The use of flash with the Pentax has been a headache for me and a challenge which I don't believe it should be. The Nikon is in my opinon the best of all that there is out there when it comes to flash photography. I am aware of the different beliefs and thoughts about the use of flash but it is available to expand the use of your camera and also enhance the image you are taking.

I shoot jpeg only and take many shots and just don't want to take the time to do much in post process. Bottom line people I shoot for love the results so that is all that matters. They don't care what I shoot with or what file format it was taken as.

Pixel peeping and brandbashingis another hobby in itself to me.

I too hate brand bashing as the camera is going to have pluses and minuses no matter who makes it. I am so glad that sort of thing doesn't go on here. and won't happen because there are so many of us that use different brands and know the pluses and minuses are there, but can still get good photos from them. No Matter The Brand. Yes this is a "Pentax" forum but in the end it is a photographer's forum and the Ideas and Knowledge is Freely Shared. Love this forum and the nice folks here as it and the Kodak forum has been a home to me for many years.

Dawg
Old Dec 27, 2007, 4:17 PM   #8

I got the K10D after reading about how blurring the JPEGs are. I shoot both raw and jpeg. There are a few things that bug me with the K10 and the Pentax system, but jpeg quality isn't one of them--but I don't setup on a tripod, shoot test charts, and compare pixels...
bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 4:29 PM   #9

bruder wrote:
Quote:
I got the K10D after reading about how blurring the JPEGs are. I shoot both raw and jpeg. There are a few things that bug me with the K10 and the Pentax system, but jpeg quality isn't one of them--but I don't setup on a tripod, shoot test charts, and compare pixels...
Same here but I do use a tripod...ah jus shoots whut ah seeze an hopes they's purty!

Dawg
Old Dec 27, 2007, 5:53 PM   #10
TDN

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Oh I hear you man, that's one of the reasons I find myself looking for Nikon or Canon cameras to switch systems sometimes.
That, and the fact that the 2nd hand market is flooded with AF lenses for those 2 here.

But then I think: wait, what am I going to do about my Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 and Kiron 105mm 2.8 then? If I need to find the equivalent of those for Nikon or Canon I'd have to spend a fortune!

Truth is there is no "perfect brand".
The ideal camera would be: A Pentax wheather sealed body, Canon AF system, Nikon flash system, Canon mount (large and short register distance to adapt different lenses), Pentax metering with old lenses and a Fujifilm sensor. And an AF adaptor like the Pentax 1.7x

With a thing like that I'd be happy forever.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote