Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

1st Cantax photos Brrr...cold

My first attempt at Cantax Photos ( Canon Mark 3 & Pentax K10D )

Brrrrr minus 3 F, fog & snow flurries. As you can see from the background photos very, very poor visibility. I use my K10D for the background photos and the Mark 3 for the close ups. I think this idea is going to work.

I saw something move at the top of the ridge and had to get my spotting scope out to find it. What I found was the 5th and 6th points on a bulls antler he was laying down so it looks like I have time to get in a little closer and wait for him to move for the close up photos.







After the elk on my way back to the camera wagon I found a bald eagle and the viability was better I could see him with my binoculars. Off on another stalk.







I am not printing these to keep or sell they are for one of the outfitter sites that I take care of. He pays me to put live Free Ranging Wildlife photos on his site.


Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
1st Cantax photos Brrr...cold

My first attempt at Cantax Photos ( Canon Mark 3 & Pentax K10D )

Brrrrr minus 3 F, fog & snow flurries. As you can see from the background photos very, very poor visibility. I use my K10D for the background photos and the Mark 3 for the close ups. I think this idea is going to work.

I saw something move at the top of the ridge and had to get my spotting scope out to find it. What I found was the 5th and 6th points on a bulls antler he was laying down so it looks like I have time to get in a little closer and wait for him to move for the close up photos.







After the elk on my way back to the camera wagon I found a bald eagle and the viability was better I could see him with my binoculars. Off on another stalk.







I am not printing these to keep or sell they are for one of the outfitter sites that I take care of. He pays me to put live Free Ranging Wildlife photos on his site.


Wacky roger
When I grow up can I take pictures as good as you??? It is a dream of mine!!! OUTSTANDING Roger!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
When I grow up can I take pictures as good as you??? It is a dream of mine!!! OUTSTANDING Roger!!!

Dawg
Thanks a bunch for the make roger smile comment.


Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
snostorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 2,770
Default

Hi Roger,

Easily the best Cantax shots I've ever seen!:-)

Sooooo. . . this is the K10 with what lens -- do you still use the BushHawk with shorter FL lenses than the Bigma? If not, you can get by with the one you already have mounted to the MkIII with the 500.

Brrrrr! My hands just don't function anymore when the temp drops to below @ 30 degrees.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Keithw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 421
Default

I'm with the Dawg - OUTSTANDING!

By the way minus 3F isn't Brrr. it's f-f-f-f-f-cold!!!
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger,

Easily the best Cantax shots I've ever seen!:-)

Sooooo. . . this is the K10 with what lens -- do you still use the BushHawk with shorter FL lenses than the Bigma? If not, you can get by with the one you already have mounted to the MkIII with the 500.

Brrrrr! My hands just don't function anymore when the temp drops to below @ 30 degrees.

Scott
Hi Scott, Cooool I got the best Cantax photos you have seen. I am proud :-)

The background is my K10 with a Sigma 10-20 lens. The close ups are my Mark 3 with a Canon 500mm lens and a 1.4 converter for a total of 700mm.

I think I am going to be a happy camper with using two bodies cuz wildlife many times just don't give you enough time to change lenses.


Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
I'm with the Dawg - OUTSTANDING!

By the way minus 3F isn't Brrr. it's f-f-f-f-f-cold!!!
I imageine I will see minus 20 or so a couple of times this winter.

Thanks for the kind comment.


Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:44 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

Shots taken with both cameras are great! It is nice to see what the other make can do in capable hands as yours. Great combo to get the extra reach. Did you try with the Bigma and your K10D? I know in the cold and all and the fact that lens changing would be a challenge and a bother that you didn't. I was just curious to see what it would look like in comparison to the Canon.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 3:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Shots taken with both cameras are great! It is nice to see what the other make can do in capable hands as yours. Great combo to get the extra reach. Did you try with the Bigma and your K10D? I know in the cold and all and the fact that lens changing would be a challenge and a bother that you didn't. I was just curious to see what it would look like in comparison to the Canon.
When I get more comfortable with the Mark 3 I plan on doing some comparisions. Right now I still don't have any idea what I am doing.


Wacky roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 3:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Shots taken with both cameras are great! It is nice to see what the other make can do in capable hands as yours. Great combo to get the extra reach. Did you try with the Bigma and your K10D? I know in the cold and all and the fact that lens changing would be a challenge and a bother that you didn't. I was just curious to see what it would look like in comparison to the Canon.
When I get more comfortable with the Mark 3 I plan on doing some comparisions. Right now I still don't have any idea what I am doing.


Wacky roger
Even if you have no idea, Keep Doing It, as it beats most I've ever seen!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:44 PM.