Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:31 PM   #1

Majority done with no flash in one of the indoor fashion show Boxing Day in Toronto downtown. Again it is almost like a public event and usually 10-20 flash shots were fired the same time

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:29 PM   #2

The above are all with no flash.
This one is

I was usu able to get rid of the shadown if the background is far away. But not this time

Daniel
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:08 AM   #3

Hi Daniel,

Boxing Day turned out good for you... You got some great shots!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:09 AM   #4

Daniel, what have these girls got that the seagulls and geese don't have?:?

Seems like you've found some new territory to explore. You're off for a good start!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:43 AM   #5

Rudy,

Thanks for taking time to comment. I had a good time.

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, what have these girls got that the seagulls and geese don't have?:?

Kjell
Kjell,

This is the link

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...684106#p684106

You may recall back then Royce was making progress but was frustrated with the lack of AF super-oerformance for BIF shots. He was where I am now.

Wacky Rogers face the same problem. They both have moved or at least moved partially to the dark side. The trouble for me nowaday is the same. But it is winter in here and birdie season is over at least for these few months. Shooting girls in this season at least provides the distraction not to mention the pleasure.

The Nikon D300 option for the tele side is very tempting indeed and no wonder. Buying things Nikon is one click away unlike Pentax good stuff that you have to deal with the evil ebay stuff not to mention scarcity.

I hope the urge to switch will die this winter. Or better still Pentax can come up with a new body with 5 FPS - not much to ask. With 5 or better fps, my keeper rate for my manual focus method will dramatically improve.

Daniel, Toronto
Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:28 PM   #6

Subject is definitely nice to look at. Based on the parameters you were shooting I say a very nice job indeed. A tad soft and some highlight blowout but most likely due to other flashes firing off.

FWIW, my shooting preferences were not being met with what I have with my Pentax ist DS or K100D. I enjoy both cameras very much and still use them but not as much as my other make. I am happy I made the addition with the other make and I don't think it is a bad thing as Roger or Royce has made the change to suit their shooting preferences or needs as I have. Being as you say one-click away versus what one has to do to get a Pentax equivalent is why I made the addition with Nikon.

All makes are good, it just comes down to a matter of what suits your needs and what is available to get you there.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:29 PM   #7

Nice work Daniel, interesting subject matter .

I would be a liar if I didn't say that I have been tempted by other brands. When I recently got an opportunity to briefly shoot with a Fuji S5 I got a taste for the Nikon D200's focus speed (compared with my DS/DL). It was very impressive (and the D200 has been surpassed by many models since). Realistically however the only thing that could get me into another camera system now is if I had some real success as a semi-pro photographer (there is plenty of wedding business to go around here). I was a Pentax K1000, MESuper photographer, I didn't feel the need for the "big guns" in the past but... given a slight change in circumstance I could see myself heading to another brand but staying with my Pentax gear for my own hobby.

I would not dismiss any possibility, and although I really like Pentax I am not a brand specific user. My choice when I went with a dSLR was between Pentax, SONY and Olympus (I still own two good Maxxum lenses). I have always had an interest in Nikon but the models I have wanted were always out of reach and their entry level models have been relatively uninspiring. I could say the same for Canon only moreso, the Rebels have seemed almost toy-like and the 20/30/40D models have been somewhat pricey. A friend has a humble Olympus E500 but with the excellent 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 lens (another costly item) and it is surprisingly fast at achieving focus on BIF.

I probably should be posting this in the Nikon D40 thread someone started but since it was brought up here I can vent a little here. It all comes down to the fact that economics brought me to Pentax and I am enjoying the photography very much, however there are occasions when I would like the higher performance of a more professionally specked camera system, especially in speed and accuracy of AF. Economics will keep me with Pentax unless my impending retirement from 31 years of teaching finds me following a path where photography becomes more than just a hobby. If I find that I can earn a sufficient income from photography to supplement my pension I may then consider moving to another system (unless Pentax can come up with that little extra performance in it's next model, the lens line already has everything I can forsee needing with the possible exception of a good AF teleconverter for the new DA* lenses).

Sorry for rambling, everyone needs to vent occasionally.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:30 PM   #8

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
If I find that I can earn a sufficient income from photography to supplement my pension I may then consider moving to another system (unless Pentax can come up with that little extra performance in it's next model,* the lens line already has everything I can forsee needing with the possible exception of a good AF teleconverter for the new DA* lenses).

Ira
The only reason that I may consider having a mixed system is to have some long tele and better AF or predictive focus tracking system . Other than that, Pentax excels in the quality of its optics, backward compatibility and reasonably fast AF for non-extreme (like BIF) situation. I do not see myself as a full-blown wildlife shooter. Chance is high that in spring my enthusiasm dies a natural death with my fooling around with some indoor semi-studio photography.
But essentially Ilike candids rather than pose shots (down to minute details) . Maybe we will have a Indian summer in the next 4 months or I got to fly out further south for some wildlife shots

Daniel , Toronto