Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:42 PM   #1

Has anyone had any experience with this flash? This will be my first flashgun purchase ever, so I'm not too knowledgeable about what I should be looking for. I'm choosing this flash for future wireless capability once Pentax releases their next models. I know there's a risk of future compatibility, but you can't beat the price ($259 for the Super on B&H; I'll be picking it up at a local Calumet for the same price though).

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2

Hi Jason,

Don't worry too much about the compatiblity for future Pentax bodies. The 530 Super is supposed to have a USB port so you can download future firmware onto your computer, then transfer it via your flash's USB cord.

There are many Sigma 500 users who are very satisfied, and I think other than the USB firmware updates, it's pretty much the same flash -- one of the good ones.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:31 AM   #3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Don't worry too much about the compatiblity for future Pentax bodies. The 530 Super is supposed to have a USB port so you can download future firmware onto your computer, then transfer it via your flash's USB cord.
Are you sure about the USB port, Scott? I was looking at Sigma's page for the 530 super, and don't see any mention of USB anywhere.

- Jason
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4

Hi Jason,

Hmmm. I could be wrong, but I distinctly remember seeing an annoucement from Sigma, but now I can't find anything. I could certainly be mixing things up with the new Metz 58 AF1, but I remember it being before their announcement, and I recall thinking how that would make things a lot easier for both Sigma and the customers since Pentax seems to be working to make the system better, and there would likely be further tweeks to P-TTL, making future compatibility for 3rd party mfgs a problem. . . oh well. . .I guess we'll see. . .

Scott
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:01 PM   #5

I just got this flash and I love it! There is no way to upgrade it though, no usb connection of any kind (no sync port either... only boo so far). So far, pictures come out great (with and without the stofen).
I've just been playing with the wireless and so far it is amazing! I've only been using the optical wireless so far and I can't believe the sensitivity :|
I put one flash (sunpak) in the closet with the door open and the Sigma around the corner with the sensor facing away from the open door, and the Sigma fired every time!
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the review, fisheye.

How often do you use the swivel? I couldn't find an EF 530 DG anywhere, so I ended up getting a Pentax AF-360 FGZ at Calumet. I'm not sure if I'm going to regret this purchase, but I didn't want to leave empty-handed.

- Jason
Old Dec 28, 2007, 9:46 AM   #7

Personally, I use the swivel quite a bit. I do a lot of weddings and since there are a lot of portrait shots involved, the swivel is key. However, if you have a braket or do a lot of off camera stuff, you probably won't miss it.
This is where mine came from.

http://www.17photo.com/product.asp?i...l=Pricegrabber
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 1:27 PM   #8

Talk about indecisive: I went back to Calumet to return the AF 360 FGZ. I returned it for a couple reasons. First, I found the Metz 48 AF-1 had more features (swivel, in particular) and was significantly cheaper than the Pentax AF 360 FGZ ($199 at Adorama, versus $229 at Calumet SF - yes, I know it's cheaper than the Metz flash online though). Second, I'm not in a huge rush for a flash. So, I can live with the wait for the more powerful, feature-packed Metz. USB upgradability is another selling point.

Now I shouldn't regret that purchase (unless the Metz 58 AF-1 has something more)

Metz 48 AF-1 @ Adorama, $199: http://www.adorama.com/MZ48AF1PS.htm...af-1&item_no=2

- Jason
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:27 PM   #9

Hi Jason,

The 48 AF1 looks like a good one. All the features of the Pentax units plus strobe and the ability to use an external power pack which seems to be significantly better than the Pentax TR PPIII which doesn't speed up the recharge times nearly as much (but at over $500,it's not going to be an option for most). It's also affordable considering it's a Metz. . .

Metz flashes usually also have a "Smart Auto" mode where the flash reads the aperture and ISO from the camera and sets up the Auto Thyristor Mode in the flash automatically using this info. Very handy when you run into a "blinker" with P-TTL preflash. It's truly a Pro level gun at a very reasonable price.

Considering everything, this might be the best flash for the Pentax DSLRs . . . I find myself wanting one. . .:evil:

Scott