Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:22 PM   #11

[/quote]
Ira,
I am in a hotel DC area while visiting my daughter. I test run her Sigma 16-50mmF2.8 EX DC.
This was taken at 40mm F3.5 half stop from wide open

Daniel
Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:22 AM   #12

danielchtong wrote: Ira,
I am in a hotel DC area while visiting my daughter. I test run her Sigma 16-50mmF2.8 EX DC.
This was taken at 40mm F3.5 half stop from wide open

Daniel[/quote]

Daniel, If I correctly understand what I have been reading yesterday, this image displays good bokeh. The most commonly accepted description is that highlights should be bright at the centre and then fade towards edges that are very soft, quite the opposite to the images I have here. Maybe I will try it again this evening with the 50mm f1.4, it has a reputation for good bokeh, let's see how it looks.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:13 AM   #13

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel,* If I correctly understand what I have been reading yesterday,* this image displays good bokeh.* The most commonly accepted description is that highlights should be bright at the centre and then fade towards edges that are very soft,* quite the opposite to the images I have here.* Maybe I will try it again this evening with the 50mm f1.4,* it has a reputation for good bokeh,* let's see how it looks.

Ira
Ira,

Bokeh has always been a subjective thing. Yours is a more defined circles which to me is beautiful. Mine are less defined circles with softer edges . So theoretically, that is better? Nobody can define that
I saw picture with 7 blades lens with exactly 7 edges bubbles and very defined lines too. Beautiful. When I have a chance I will pose it. It is not from Pentax though.

Daniel
Old Dec 31, 2007, 1:38 PM   #14

OK Daniel, here are a series shot with the FA 50mm f1.4 at f1.4, f2. f2.8 and f4. Note the differences.

f1.4

f2

f2.8

f4

I will try a similar test with the 35mm f2 which is an aspherical lens later, just to see if it makes a difference in the general look of the bokeh. As you can see, wide open gives perfect circles (sort of). Rather than use up bandwidth here, I will post the results on my blog http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/ as a series of images taken with the FA 35mm f2 -AL- at f2, f2.8, f4 and f5.6.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:00 PM   #15

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
OK Daniel,* here are a series shot with the FA 50mm f1.4 at f1.4,* f2.* f2.8* and f4.* Note the differences.

I will try a similar test with the 35mm f2 which is an aspherical lens later,* just to see if it makes a difference in the general look of the bokeh.* As you can see,* wide open gives perfect circles (sort of).* Rather than use up bandwidth here,* I will post the results on my blog http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/* as a series of images taken with the FA 35mm f2 -AL- at f2, f2.8, f4 and f5.6.

Ira
Ira,
The more you dig into this subject the better. They are just plainly beautiful. Aperture definitely has something to do with the type of bokeh we want. Why not start a new thread on your findings? I find it interesting and a lot of people incl me have no knowledge of it

Daniel
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:10 PM   #16

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
OK Daniel,* here are a series shot with the FA 50mm f1.4 at f1.4,* f2.* f2.8* and f4.* Note the differences.

I will try a similar test with the 35mm f2 which is an aspherical lens later,* just to see if it makes a difference in the general look of the bokeh.* As you can see,* wide open gives perfect circles (sort of).* Rather than use up bandwidth here,* I will post the results on my blog http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/* as a series of images taken with the FA 35mm f2 -AL- at f2, f2.8, f4 and f5.6.

Ira
Ira,
You know what? Without a new FA50mm , you likely have not had the thought of doing it. Of the lenses that I have been pushing their respective limits, Zenitar 16mm , FA135mm and of course A300mm have been my favorites . And I have posted quite a few pictures from them. I hardly did that with my FA or recently my F50mm .
After you have got a new FA50mm , you gave thoughts to it, its FoV and what it is capable of.
A zoom theoretically covers a lot more. Maybe our mind cannot multitask and think about so many FL the same time.
I look forward to seeing some of your test shots of your 35mmF2. You never know what you may go into.
The same thing that I could never imagine using my A300mm for BIF.

Daniel