Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:34 AM   #1

Hi and Happy Holidays! This is my first post and would like to say hello!

My name is Larry and I am a fellow Pentaxian.I have been lurking,following some discussions here and my friend Dawg has encouraged me to join so if you end up not liking me blame him:lol:.He has said how nice and friendlyeveryone is here and although he has been known to stretch the truth a bit I hope I might be accepted here.

I am an easy going guy and I love the outdoors and along with the normal photography we all enjoy I have a big interest in Cave Photography at the amateur level as it is a by product of my outdoor activities.I have been fairly active in this area for about 7-8 years now and have taken about 5000 photos underground,many of them aremulti flash exposures which are quite the challenge.For now I have dedicated cameras(ones I can afford to lose without crying too loudly)and at some point may move the Pentax over to this role....maybe..

My newest camera is the K10D and although I have only had it for about a month now(as I waited till the price became more attractive to me)I have been in love with it for some time.My present lens(more on the way now)is the Tamron 18-250.

I am still adjusting to the camera and every day is a learnng experience.Have recently enrolled into some photography classes which start in January to help with my skills and help me in my weak areas.

Hope my intro hasn't been to boring to eveyone and I look foward to contributing to this forum and may take me a while to adjust to some of the posting requirments....

So my first question is,What is the best way to post photos here?Do I post them straight from my files on my computer or from a link from like my photobucket site. And how large would you like them resized to for easy viewing here?

Larry

Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:20 AM   #2

Larry, welcome to the forum....always good to have more sons of the South. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt, even if you do come on Dawg's recommendation. :-) You'll find this is a pretty laid-back group who are not afraid to share ideas to improve all of our shooting.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your K10d. My hand has just about become molded in the shape of the grip of mine. You ask about methods of posting. I usually link to my flickr site, although you can also direct post from your computer. When you direct-post, the software limits you to one photo per post, so if you're posting multiple images in this fashion, you just have to reply to yourself a few times.

I don't know that there have been any specific size guidelines posted in this forum, but Steve's has a limit of 250K total image size on direct posts. I generally use 800 pixels or so in the larger dimension as a general guideline.

We look forward to seeing your work.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:36 AM   #3

Motorman,

I for one definitely look forward to your cave shots. I spent 10 years getting wet, cold, stuck and occasionally spewing profanities as we hunted along a mountainside in search of a 3 foot wide hole in the ground :lol:

So I'd love to see your shots. Please drop me a PM when you post them so I can find the post.

Welcome to Steves
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:14 AM   #4

Larry? Who's Larry? Do I know a Larry???? Sorry fella that name ain't familiar!! LOL Hey caveman....How's ya' swingin'? You'll find they are good folks here Larry...I post at 800 on the big size so Robar can see them without scrolling and keep the files at 230kb or smaller. Ask questions and post lots of photos...They won't mind a Kodak photo or two as long as you are posting some Pentax ones as well.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5

oh gawd(banging head on granite), we've had the dawg and it looks like it drug in the cat.... probation period is one week, then we get nasty..!!! lol

welcome to the board laryy. i'm ready for the cave shots also:shock:.. we usually post here at upto 800-900 wide and 72 dpi..
depending on mood and if i've posted to another forum i use the mutiple post optionor my photobucket acc. to do so here. usually if you're telling a tale, photobucket is best as you can finish it before posting.

DAWG!! if you'd get rid of that 200dpi avatar it would leave more room for pix. i neverhave to scroll a 800dpi image.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:04 AM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
oh gawd(banging head on granite), we've had the dawg and it looks like it drug in the cat.... probation period is one week, then we get nasty..!!! lol

welcome to the board laryy. i'm ready for the cave shots also:shock:.. we usually post here at upto 800-900 wide and 72 dpi..
depending on mood and if i've posted to another forum i use the mutiple post optionor my photobucket acc. to do so here. usually if you're telling a tale, photobucket is best as you can finish it before posting.

DAWG!! if you'd get rid of that 200dpi avatar it would leave more room for pix. i neverhave to scroll a 800dpi image.

roy
Heck now yer pickin' on poor Thor and he cain't defend hisself!! LOL

Awww see ya' made him cry!!

Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7

Welcome Larry! This is a good group. I think all of your questions have been answered, I generally use a width of 800 if I am posting here.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:22 AM   #8

Welcome aboard Larry, you made a good choice.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:11 PM   #9

Alright,Thanks for a warm welcome so far! I cant wait to start posting some pics on this forum.As far as cave pics(I have many)I have yet to take any with the Pentax.Not that I don't want to but not with mine yet.I need to get outfitted for it.I have a Kodak P880 8 meg camera(actually have 2 of them)I use now in a Pelican water tight foam filled case.2 Vivitar 285hv flashes with Firefly slaves deticated for the extremes of the caving I do.I will wait for the new to wear of unless someone like Dawg can donate theirs:roll:to be dragged through the bowels of the earth.

The Kodak is serving me well for this now.Has the features simular to a DSLR just can't swap lenses.Has RAW and TIFF and takes great jpegs.Good color and surprises me and others constantly with great photos.Check this board and some others.DPReview had a review of this cam and held up well there.If you don't mine me posting some in the future here I will.If I do I will always credit the cam I used.

I do have Pentax pics to post just not in cave photos,sorry if I have dissapointed...

I do promise as soon as I feel comfortable going down with it I will!

Thanks again for the warm welcome

Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:50 PM   #10

Welcome Aboard Larry.

You came to the right Place. I belong To several forums and they can get Downright Nasty. It is just a great bunch of very knowledgeable people here. I truly enjoy this Forum and everyone that posts here.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote