Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:44 PM   #1

17 Below Zero ( F ) Hunting Elk

A little bit NIPPIE this morning. I went to a ranch I call the Divide. It is located on both sides of the Continental Divide.

When I got to the ranch gate it was Minus 10

A better look

I had about a mile to go down in a valley to get where I wanted to be and figured down in the valley it would probably get a little colder. YUP!!! I was right.

I found some elk moving thru the timber

I have to get to the next ridge so I can try for some close ups.

A nice young Bull

I used a cow call to get them to stop.

I noticed a couple of cows up above the two bulls.

The other Bull.

I know this is not a controlled scientific test for using the Canon Mark 3 & the Pentax K10D in cold weather. It is the two cameras being used out in the field in cold weather. I really didn't notice any difference in the way they handled. I did have fresh charged batteries in both cameras. I was out of the camera wagon for 20 to 30 minutes so the cameras I think had a chance to be affected by the temperature but IMHO they didn't seem to mind.

If you notice anything unusual about the photos that could of been caused by the temperature please point it out. The EXIF data is available on the individual photos but not the photos with a insert.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:02 AM   #2

All I can say is "burrrrr!" Pictures are (as usual) outstanding and don't seem to be suffering from the extremely cold tempertures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007, 9:04 AM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
All I can say is "burrrrr!" Pictures are (as usual) outstanding and don't seem to be suffering from the extremely cold tempertures.
After thinking back on it, the cameras and the elk did not seem to have any trouble with the cool temps. My old body did think it was plenty cold.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:09 PM   #4

negative 17 now that is COLD!!! the canon setup looks like it is doing better with the white balance when comparing the snow portions between your photos. i'd be interested if you used a custom white balance on either camera or just had them set to auto white balance?

on a serious note... roger, god bless to you and your family. my prayers and thoughts are with you.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:45 AM   #5

Great shots Roger. Your ability to find game must put you in very high demand for your guide services.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote