Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:57 AM   #11

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Ira

I won't discuss lighting and so forth as I have never worked studio lighting, but for subject composition I agree with tdotho. :|

It is almost like the tripod is at the wrong height for him to lean on.

Personally I would have gone for the shot where the subject is standing with his equipment like he was interrupted in the middle of one of HIS shoots. The shot might illustrate his equipment/profession and if set up correctly would hopefuly show his natural friendly side for his clients.

I hope you don't mind the criticism... :O
Crashman, I am totally distraught by your comments! :lol::lol:

We tried the tripod at different heights but didn't get it right, I think I do have something like you suggested in one of the later posts above.

Thank you very much for the constructive criticism, I need to learn how to do portraits.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:37 AM   #12

I'm home sick today so may look at my comments tomorrow and wonder who wrote them.

I know this is probably something trivial, but why doesn't he have shoes on in the first shot? Since he seems so self conscious of being photographed (you can really see it in the two you posted), maybe having him be doing something when you photograph him. I'm by no means a portrait photographer, but for a class I was taking this summer, my best shots were after the photoshoot when they were getting out of position and playing around.

Just my amateur view.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:18 AM   #13

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I know this is probably something trivial, but why doesn't he have shoes on in the first shot?
His idea, based on the work of a photographer he admires. I know what we were trying for, we seem to have missed the mark.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:52 AM   #14

Hi Ira,

From the 3, I like "strong square (Large).jpg". One thing about that one is the position of the eyes, if he likes to look up, then maybe you could try shooting at a higher level, or photoshop also works fine

One final thing is that I notice the camera is on the ground. Personally since the camera is a the main tool, I would shots of him holding it etc...

It must be really hard for a photographer to turn into model/subject. I can totally understand how some of the shots look uncomfortable, cuase really, I don;t think I would be that comfy either!

Thanh
tdotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:38 PM   #15

personally i like the first shot
maybe i can relate e o no shoes and casual
the monotone colours makes the red on the strap stand out
which takes your eye to the C word
my 2 bobs worth
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote