Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1

I'm looking for a flash bracket that is easy to go from landscape to portrait modes. When holding the camera in portrait I have my right hand up (ie shutter release side up I guess... not sure if this is common or not or just because I am a lefty). Every bracket I look at so far flips the flash so that the camera has to point the other way, has someone found one that works well for them????
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:15 AM   #2

the cheap one i have is the same.. shutter release on the bottom when vertical..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:41 AM   #3

Custom Brackets CB-Junior. It works the 'correct way' so you rotate the camera counterclockwise and flip the flash up top. A pretty sturdy bracket too.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:22 AM   #4

Just saw this on another post. No experience w/ it but I guess the one for the EOS has the correct shutter release plug for Pentax. Of course the flash cable is useless for Pentax but it can be left or right handed ect.

"

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket with ETTL2 Cord for Canon EOS Rebel Style Digital SLR Cameras (2.5 Mini Plug)

http://www.adorama.com/FABTTLEOS.html

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:41 AM   #5

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking for a flash bracket that is easy to go from landscape to portrait modes. When holding the camera in portrait I have my right hand up (ie shutter release side up I guess... not sure if this is common or not or just because I am a lefty). Every bracket I look at so far flips the flash so that the camera has to point the other way, has someone found one that works well for them????
Check out the Stroboframe PRO-RL. It's pretty big but the shutter release is on top when you flip it.

You can pick them up fairly cheaply on e-bay.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:47 AM   #6

I have the RPS rotating flash bracket with the option of adding an umbrella, softbox or second flash. I use it for weddings and has done a great job for me. I use it with my Nikon D200 with shutter release trigger added to it and I am a lefty by nature and you can mount the camera to suit your handedness.

You can easily remove the shutter release and flash sync cord and use whatever you need for your brand. I like the fact the camera rotates and only the camera for either portrait or landscape mode and it stays directly under the flash. I got it from BH photo and find it the best for the money.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:04 AM   #7

thanks everyone for the help, is it a lefty thing to rotate that way or just preference?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:56 AM   #8

If you have to release the shutter manually, the position with the hand uppermost is the most convenient for asteady grip. It is not a handedness issue as long as they don't make left-handed cameras - everyone has the same problem. The solution is to use a grip with a remote release, so you can turn the camera clockwise and release the shutter with your left hand which is then uppermost. There are grips with built in releases, but they may not work with all cameras. If you are handy, the solution would be to use a plain grip and figure out a way to attach your camera's remote release to it.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:59 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I own the Alzo Flip Bracket which, similar to a few described above, flips the camera platform rather than the flash. It is reasonably priced ($75) and is very versatile (has the ability to raise the flash height, use with an umbrella reflector, etc. I use mine all the time for indoor photography. Here is the link if you are interested in checking it out. http://alzodigital.com/online_store/...sh_bracket.htm

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:21 PM   #10

Jay, that one looks pretty cool, but when you tip the camera it looks like the shutter button of the camera is on the bottom, not the top. Is that true for yours? How easy is it to flip? and does it come with the cross bar for getting the flash over the camera, or just the vertical pole?
I guess the main thing I want to know is if you can mount the camera on it so that you can rotate the camera clockwise or counter clockwise?