Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:48 AM   #1

Though I can do decently with my Sigma 100-300 with cropping...I'd rather not have to..The distant non-cropped photos are what I get now. The cropped ones are what I want to get with a good 500mm lens!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:37 AM   #2

Bigdawg....time for Bigma!!! Don't mess around with the Sigma 170-500, that's one that I have & it's just not as sharp as Roger's Bigma!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:47 AM   #3

Dawg...I,too, confess a serious case of Bigma envy. For me, the biggest advantage of moving from 300mm to 400mm has not been avoiding cropping, but the ability to get shots of birds to which I couldn't get close enough to get even a usable image with 300mm. I just pulled this one off my memory card this morning, taken a couple of mornings ago. Taken with the Phoenix 100-400 fully extended. (resized for forum--no cropping or other processing)

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:51 AM   #4

#2 Cropped and processed. Not that good of a shot, an probably not even a keeper, butone chosen at random of this guy at the top of a tree some 80-90 feet away. I haven't had time to go through all of my shots of him to really see what I have.

The Bigma is at the #2 slot on my wish list...behind only aqualityoutdoor sports lens.

Attached Images

Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:56 AM   #5

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
The Bigma is at the #2 slot on my wish list...behind only aqualityoutdoor sports lens.

what's the bigma then, paul??

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:11 AM   #6

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Dawg...I,too, confess a serious case of Bigma envy.... Taken with the Phoenix 100-400 fully extended. (resized for forum--no cropping or other processing)
Trojansoc

How do you find the Phoenix lens overall? Do you think it is a big improvement over 300mm? I am forced to aim for more modest priced equipment since I just blew my budget (meagre as it was) on a new computer.

Ira

BTW, I just went for lots of RAM in my new computer, 2GB in a fairly basic 1.6GHz dual core with Windows XP and a 160GB hard drive. It has all of the popular memory card slots built in and a DVD burner for backup, finally a photography computer.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:12 AM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

roy
LOL, I see your point, Roy....different kinds of outdoor sports. #1 priority is a low-light AF zoom for shooting football and soccer under stadium lghts...i.e. a 70-200 f2.8.

Paul
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:43 AM   #8

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

roy
LOL, I see your point, Roy....different kinds of outdoor sports. #1 priority is a low-light AF zoom for shooting football and soccer under stadium lghts...i.e. a 70-200 f2.8.

Paul
Paul..How about a FA* 300mm F/2.8??? Or wait a little and Pentax may give you that 70-200 f/2.8 your looking for...I've seen some FA* lens out there but they all start at 1400 dollars and up! They usually finally go for $2500.00 on EBAY... I had a phoenix 100-500mm lens and sold it because it would never give me that really sharp photo...Was way too soft from zoom range to zoom range and edge to edge...Just couldn't get it to give me a sharp photo!

Dawg

Ed
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:43 AM   #9

Got one like that too Ira...ain't it great!!

Dawg
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:44 AM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:

roy
Don't know about Paul but it is the next lens on my list
!
Dawg