Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:28 AM   #11

How would I thwart a mugger? Good question. I have no pat answer to that. I don't own a gun of any kind. I don't carry any kind of weapon at anytime. I would simply just drop everything literally that they asked for and then if I am fortunate to leave alive or better yet unscathed I would make the necessary calls as far as reporting the crime, cancelling my credit card, making an appointment to replace my drivers license and get replacements to anything else that was in my wallet.Finally I wouldcall my insurance company about the situation in losing my camera and gear involved.

That would be the rational answer.

If I feel these guys needed a good whipping I would do so. I am very capable in self-defense but not a hero or brash enough to do something unless I absolutely have to. It may mean my life but as I said it would be my last resort.

Guns will never be something I find a need for. Either it be for sport, self defense or collecting.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:59 AM   #12

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I suppose this kind of discussion seems odd to our fellow Pentaxians in the rest of the globe.
Well, it certainly sounds very alien to me. The inference is that someone would be willing to shoot (and possibly kill) another person over a few grand's worth of equipment. Definitely not something that I understand. but then I have led a sheltered life here in the UK.

And yes we have crime, possibly lots of it, and gun crime is on the rise. But ...

... in the US some 30,000 people die from guns. Our population is about 20% of the US so using very simple statistics that should result in about 6,000 deaths in the UK. Instead it's around 200.

I'm trying not to be judgemental here as we live in different cultures, but as I said at the start - very alien.

Oh well, back to discussing photography :-)

[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:17 AM   #13

Guys, I don't want this to turn into a bad argument...this issue has been debated for a long time...as have many other topics that only have 2 sides. I also believe that yes...equipment can be replaced &money can be reearned...there is nothing more valuable than the sanctity of life. I was raised around guns my whole life...growing up on a farm. The first rule that my father taught me was that you NEVER raise a gun unless you intend to kill something AND to be prepared to deal with the aftermath. I didn't get into hunting deer until the last few years because I didn't like the idea of taking another life, even an animal. Then I discovered the taste of the meat, which I find very satisfying. Now, to get this meat, I have to be in one the most beautiful places that I have ever been in...the woods. Unfortunately, there are other animals in the woods that don't like my presences...like I said earlier bobcats, cougars, rattlesnakes & occasionally men. A couple of years ago(4 or 5), I went to take a look at a spot that I used to hunt & when I pulled into the campsite, I found a group of probably 30 or so hippies. Yes, hippies....all strung out laying around the campground...trash everywhere, in the trees, on the ground...everywhere. Now, I had no idea that they would be there. I had just got my 1st camera which was laying on the seat next to me, along with some hiking equipment. Fortuneately, the hippies were so strung out that they could care less about me turning around in the camp but as I drove out, all I could think about was the story of the 2 guys that got into a fight....1 pulled out a knife & the other a gun. The one with the gun says...idiot brought a knife to a gun fight.

After everything else (talking, martial arts, self-defense, fleeing) fails, I would like to have one more option, because my life is more valuable to me. This is just my opinion but I wanted to express it. This is 1 of the things that I treasure about this forum & I thank everyone for expressing their opinions.

Now...lets get back to some photography!!!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:39 AM   #14

i didn't mean to turn this into an argument, but rather just wanted to know what you do as a photographer with thousands of dollars of gear to protect your gear and yourself. i think it is a very vaild discussion for photographers if not just to consider the possibility at least to raise awareness.

i am sure most of us have our gear insured, i know i do. but just because i have it insured doesn't mean i don't take extra precautions to not lose it and i know that having my gear with me when i am out taking pictures makes me a target for those non-law abiding citizens.

just some thoughts. do you go out in public and photograph alone or do you try to go in a group? do you not take your gear out at night? do you carry a can of mace/pepper spray or other self defense items? what about stray dogs, how would you prevent a dog attack? do you always take a cell phone with you when you go out to take pictures? do you put a small padlock on to secure your camera bag when you are traveling, like say going through an airport?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:27 PM   #15

I at one time carried enough firepower to stop a minor invasion and then one day nearly killed an aquaintance because he felt like it was the day to attack me...Never forget the feeling later on when I sat doawn and thought about it...I could have killed him and ruined not just my life but my family and his as well...It was just too easy to do...I sold all my guns...They can have my camera and my wallet...They are very easy to replace....But if they plan on taking my life.. I trained for over 25 years to do something about that. Don't get me wrong...Shooting someone to protect your life and the life of a loved one is JUST CAUSE....But for most folks being able to pull the trigger is TOO EASY!! And quite often leads to tragic results. If they plan on taking my stuff by physical threat...I can handle that no sweat! If they have a knife...It better have chocolate handles cause I will feed it to them! If they have a gun...They can have my stuff and shoot me if they wish but I will not carry a gun again...Just too easy to end a life that way! Nuff Sed! But then again Lil' Dawg will shoot first and ask questions later...she didn't get rid of her guns!! LOL Glad things worked out for your friend Ishino!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:55 PM   #16

I remember when they took all the guns away for everyone in Australia, including honest hunters and target shooters. Not the environment I want to live in since I hunt and target shoot and enjoy the hobby as well as my family does. Possibly they should have dealt with the criminals instead, just like we here in the USA need to do in our big cities.

I live in a small town (2,500) and everyone has at least one gun, and possibly more. We have no muggings, no assaults, no rapes and the only home invasions we have are when no one is at home. We have had one shooting in ten years outside of hunting accidents!

Now in the big city (Minneapolis as an example) there are muggings every day, rapes on a regular basis and home invasions at least one every day. There are gangs of thugs that don't care what they do to anyone and even if you give them what they want have no problem shooting you. So it isn't just giving up your gear that is the issue, it is what will they do to you then and to your family after the fact?

As I see it there is a social issue here, the mentality that leads to gangs and violence is almost non existent in small town USA even though guns are everywhere. We as a community know each other and there is no place for thugs to hide and they also know breaking into a occupied home is very dangerous to them, so it doesn't happen.

If you break into a home around here if will be a very bad day for you and not for the family inside.

I spent time in Viet Nam and if I feel someone is threatening my family, I would have no problem using any force I had at hand to stop them!

We don't have a Concealed Carry Law due to a liberal Governor that won't let it pass, but we should.

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:07 PM   #17

I would give a mugger anything he demanded. My Camera, my wallet, my watch, my ring.

"Then, as he walked/ran away, I'd blow his head clean off his shoulders. And I don't care who that offends!

Carry permits are a wonderful thing.

Ed
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:14 PM   #18

In response to the original post:
I was expecting this to be a funny story about how the 'victim' cracked his Canon IS zoom lense over the muggers head while he picked up the wallet! :lol:

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I live in a small town (2,500) and everyone has at least one gun, and possibly more. We have no muggings, no assaults, no rapes and the only home invasions we have are when no one is at home. We have had one shooting in ten years outside of hunting accidents!
Is that not because it's a small town in a nice area and not because everyone has guns?
I wonder what the crime rate is like in a similar town in a country where there are no guns. I'd be very surprised if it was full of muggings, assaults and rape.

You just have to look at the statisitics.

Lots of guns = lots of gun crime
less guns = less gun crime
no guns = no gun crime
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:01 PM   #19

We have lots and lots of guns and no gun crime so your statement is not true except in some cases.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:46 PM   #20

"Then, as he walked/ran away, I'd blow his head clean off his shoulders.* And I don't care who that offends!

Ed
[/quote]

Eddy... Eddy....Eddy......
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote