Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:55 PM   #1

so this afternoon i get a text message from one of my buddies. he was out taking some pictures this morning andtwothieves tried to mug him of his camera, phone, watch, and wallet. not that he carries much cash and he wears a timex, but he shoots with a canon 5dand withany decentattached lens can be a few thousand dollars worth of gear. from what i understand he took out his wallet first and threw it at the ground between them and as they looked down at it, it distracted them just long enough for him to draw from his strong side a concealed 9mm underneath his jacket.

this made me think maybe i need tofile formy concealed firearms permit. what do you all do or have you given any thought to it?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:07 PM   #2

Just wish Illinois would get up with the times & pass one as well. They just had a case in St. Louis where a Domino's guy was to deliver a pizza, guys were there to rob him & he pulled out his concealed, killed one & the other ran off. Of course, he then quit his job but Dominos said if he hadn't, he would have been reprimanded. Naturally, it was all over talk radio but I didn't realize that Illinois & Wisconsin are the only 2 states that don't have concealed carry laws.

Yes, I would file for it (if we had it). Not that where we live is that dangerous or that my job is either. Where I get a little leery, is when I'm in the Shawnee Forest or other state parks by myself & not sure if I might run into a bobcat or cougar or worse...someone wacked out on crystal meth or otherwise. Now, I know there are a lot of opponents to CC. But, from my point of view, it just gives the good guys an equal chance!

Good subject & sorry to hear about your friend's incident...just glad it worked out in his favor! What would have happened if OK didn't have CC???

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:23 PM   #3

I thought you were going to say the guy took out a mobile phone from his pocket and took a picture of the muggers and sent it to the police.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:08 PM   #4

I get asked about concealed weapons licenses a lot in my line of work. I think they are a great thing and I would not live in a state that did not have a "shall issue" CCW law. My caveat is this, though, if you choose to carry a firearm for defense it is critical that you train with it (more than just target shooting) and be mentally prepared and alert enough to be able to use it.

To tie back into photography, my kids bought me this 5.11 Tactical photographers vest the year before I actually became interested in photography. Besides being a solidvest for photography, it is tailored long to concealbelt carry and also has a built in adjustable holster for either right or left handed carry inside the vest. I wear this nearly every time I leave the house off duty, even if I don't have the camera with me.

If you come up with any particular questions feel free to PM me. Always happy to talk computers, firearms, and photography. I suppose this kind of discussion seems odd to our fellow Pentaxians in the rest of the globe.

Tim

PS: Congratulations to your friend, great tactical thinking! Out of professional curiousity, did he report the incident to law enforcement? I have seen studies that indicate that over 90% of the time that firearms are drawn, but not fired, in self defense the incident is never reported. It would not suprise me if these figures were correct.
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:20 PM   #5

i am just happy to live in a state where i dont need a gun

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:43 AM   #6

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
i am just happy to live in a state where i dont need a gun
There is no crime in Aussieland?No thieves,muggers,gangs,home invasions,rape or murder?Just to mention a few....

Larry
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:53 AM   #7

Just like other countries Austalia, and Sweden, have crime. But the level of violence, not to talk of deaths by firearms, are remarkably lower than in the US. There must be a reason for that.

kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:50 AM   #8

Hi all,
Just on my soap box now......

How much is your gear worth, your life, their life, the kid on the push bike behind the person you ment to shoot. It's only money and some possesions you've most likely got insured! Give it up, walk away buy another camera, watch watever, go home hug your nearest and dearest ITS NOY WORTH IT....
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 5:51 AM   #9

PS

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:30 AM   #10

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Just like other countries Austalia, and Sweden, have crime. But the level of violence, not to talk of deaths by firearms, are remarkably lower than in the US. There must be a reason for that.

kjell
I don't have the statistics but we have a city(Kennesaw) in Georgia,north of Atlanta,that has an ordinance that every home must have firearm and be trained to use it.It has one of the lowest crime rates in the country and maybe the world.Criminals know this and avoid doing bad things there as they know they are more likely to be shot if they commit a crime.I doubt if either country has 300 million people as we have,and as big and vast as the US is,law enforcement is often too late to stop violent crime here.Wavingthousands of dollars ofcamera equipment in a questionable environment in any countryis a invitation for problems,IMO.This may not be the case here but being aware of your surroundings and being prepared to defend yourself at all times is wise for anybodyin any county.Property can be replaced but your life cannot.Always relying on Law enforcement to protect you from crimeis flawed as more oftenthan not they are just picking up the pieces and trying to solve the crime.I do wish for less crime here in the US,we get a bad rap around the world as a "Wild West"type country but as a whole we are a peace loving country with good people here but because of a few we get a bad appearance.But all should take to heart the Texas state motto"Don't Tread On Me",ask Osama Bin Ladin where ever he is hiding from justice...

If our county is so bad why does the world always turn to us for help and millions flock here live yearly.We are generous and caring country with opportunityalthough we have are faults.Billions are spent yearly in attempt to help everyone worldwide and for some itis not appreciated.Freedom has its price and removing our guns is not the answer here as we have he right constitutionally to "bear arms".Our society,IMO,depends on it.

Now where is my coffee....think I will go shoot.... the sunrise:-)....
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote