Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:54 PM   #1

This is the flash set up I purchased for my K10D.I did this cheaply as I followed a discussion from another forum and claimed success.It involves using a Wolf/Ritz brand Quantaray QTB-9550U flash(re badged Promaster 5750DX with the dedicated 5050DXR P-TTL module #7161for the Pentax K10D and maybe others.

Heres the links

Quantaray QTB-9550D
http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/53...es%3Bciflashes
ProMaster 5050DXR P-TTL module

can also be used with this smaller flashalso

Quantaray QB-6550D

Well,my flash was about135 dollars,85 for the main flash and 50 for the module,cheap for a P-TTL for a Pentax with a guide up to [email protected].

Now for a quick test.I have taken a few but here is a couple of the first ones I took.The room shot was taken with the room 98% dark,could not make out anything in the room and back about 18-20 feet from the wall.

and a face shot of a friendabout4 or sofeet away(shes going to kill me but not a bad pic of her)

Probably not the best of tests butI believe the P-TTL is working and the IR AF assist appears to work also,I can see a reddish IR pattern on half press for the AF,would not even try to lock without it in the low to no light condition in the room.

The face shot had some more ambient light present but not much more.

Hope some may find this informative and helpful,it is compatable and seems to function properly.Now I have some beer money left.....

What do y'all think of this flash set-up and the photos?Exposure close?
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:14 AM   #2

How much beer money??

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:28 AM   #3

HI-

Thanks that answers one question.I have the same combo I use it on my DS but I hope to get a K10 this spring if the tax man and the Boss let me:-)
biggyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:03 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I still have my Quantary 9500A Flash that I use on manual mode with the Pentax module that I puchased for use when I was shooting with the Pentax ZX-L (film). Unfortunately, my current module does not support P-TTL on my DL...but I continue to use it in manual mode with my DL. I especially like the two flashes: use the smaller flash for direct light and use the main head for bounce lighing. I have not investigated if the new P-TTL module will "sync" with the 9500A head which will enable me to use it with the DSLR's:?

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:36 AM   #5

I have been thinking of the same setup, but what puts me off is that it is not an auto zoom, or am I wrong? I can get a pentax 360 for around $145.00 US, and that is an auto zoom.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6

joelw135 wrote:
Quote:
I have been thinking of the same setup, but what puts me off is that it is not an auto zoom, or am I wrong? I can get a pentax 360 for around $145.00 US, and that is an auto zoom.
My Sigma DG Super has an auto-zoom. I have turned it off since it is such a major power-hog! I keep my zoom set at a mid range and it seems to work well for 90% of my shooting. On the odd occassion that I need an ulta wide or zoom setting, I simply manually adjust it. On the Q'ray flash, I think iadjusting the zoom is simply a matter ofpulling the head out. IMHO, the auto zoom soundsbetter than it turns out to be in actual use. Hope this helps. Jay
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:57 AM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
joelw135 wrote:
Quote:
My Sigma DG Super has an auto-zoom. I have turned it off since it is such a major power-hog! I keep my zoom set at a mid range and it seems to work well for 90% of my shooting. On the odd occassion that I need an ulta wide or zoom setting, I simply manually adjust it. On the Q'ray flash, I think iadjusting the zoom is simply a matter ofpulling the head out. IMHO, the auto zoom soundsbetter than it turns out to be in actual use. Hope this helps. Jay
I was looking at the Sigma DG Super, but isn't the price range much higher, or am I wrong thinking that.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:01 AM   #8

joelw135 wrote:
Quote:
jelpee wrote:
Quote:
joelw135 wrote:
Quote:
I was looking at the Sigma DG Super, but isn't the price range much higher, or am I wrong thinking that.

You're correct--the Sigma is in a higher price range. I was only commenting on the auto zoom feature and my experience on the Sigma, vs. the manual zoom which I have on the Q'ray flash. Sorry for the confusion! Jay

Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
joelw135 wrote:
Quote:
jelpee wrote:
Quote:
joelw135 wrote:
Quote:

You're correct--the Sigma is in a higher price range. I was only commenting on the auto zoom feature and my experience on the Sigma, vs. the manual zoom which I have on the Q'ray flash. Sorry for the confusion! Jay
Thanks Jay, I see I can get the Sigma 530 DGST for $189.00 not a huge difference. I have to have a P-TTL flash as the pentax K100D Super is P-TTL.