Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2008, 6:58 PM   #1

What is the diferance b/w the two? Is there a diferance at all? They boyh have syabalization.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:24 PM   #2

The Super is the more recent model, I do not think the original K100d is still in production but there are many still available. The Super added support for HSM drive lenses and the sensor "shakes" when you first turn it on to dislodge dust (it does not on the original). These are the two differences I am aware of.

Last time I looked the Super had a rebate available but the original K100d did not so check that when you are comparing prices. If you are not planning on buying the top end glass the HSM support will not matter too much. I started with the K100d and it is a great camera.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:29 PM   #3

Even if you do decide you want one of the SDM lenses, you can still use them on the original K100 - it just won't use the in-lens motor. There's no advantage getting the older K100 except if you can find it for significantly less than the K100 Super. If the price of the cameras is the same, get the Super.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply,

I am considering the Super with the tamron 18-250 lense for a single lense solution. I am also tempted to get the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro along with a 70-300 from pentax or any other comperable lense. Will there be any advantages, I think the diferance will be under $200.00 with the 2 lense solution?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:06 PM   #5

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply,

I am considering the Super with the tamron 18-250 lense for a single lense solution. I am also tempted to get the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro along with a 70-300 from pentax or any other comperable lense. Will there be any advantages, I think the diferance will be under $200.00 with the 2 lense solution?
An 18-50mm f2.8 lens would make for excellent DOF control and great low light performance (it would be my choice). The single lens solution is a great travel lens, light weight and no lens swapping. Which is more important to you?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:18 PM   #6

I do not travel much, so thanks for helping me answer my own question.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:21 AM   #7

EDIT: I was mistaken. Please disregard.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 3:23 PM   #8

One of the things I like about the K10 is that you can use the on-board flash to trigger an externalPentax flash unit (not mounted on the hotshoe) wirelessly. The K100 does not let you do that, though it will if you have two flash units - one mounted on the hot shoe and the other free-standing. I just looked through the on-line owners manual for the K100 Super, and it seems to operate like the K100.

Has there been a change to firmware that would allow the K100 Super to work like the K10?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 5:32 PM   #9

Nope, no update for the firmware. You still can't operate wireless without having one in the hot shoe.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote