Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 7, 2008, 6:28 PM   #1
TDN

Has anyone tried one of the new Metz P-TTL flashes yet?

They seem to be priced only a little over their Sigma equivalent, are more compact and have a USB port trough which you can update the firmware (I think this is unique, or am i wrong?)

I'm especially interested in the 48 model, as I want a small flash that can tilt & swivel.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:52 PM   #2

Hi Tom,

I've read a few reports from new users in various fora, and they're very happy with them. If it had been out when I decided to get the 540, I probably would have chosen the Metz, it's over $100 less expesive than the 540, and Metz has a stellar reputation among pros that I've talked to.

The last, but not least consideration is that they didn't just rush out to get something on the shelves, and came up with a much better solution than the other 3rd party flash mfgs to the possible future tweeks to P-TTL (that are almost inevitable) -- firmware that the user can update without having to send the unit in. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:19 PM   #3

I ordered the Metz 48 AF-1 myself. When it arrives in a couple days I'll let you know. From the specs, it's quite comparable to the Sigma EF-530 DG Super and a bit cheaper. I've read a review saying the 48 AF-1 may not be strong enough to handle heavy diffusers like the Gary Fong Whale Tale.

But with USB upgradability, hopefully this flash will be future-proof for a while. Can't wait until I get a K10D or future model to use this flash wirelessly, as well!

Here is a well-written review (including the bit about the weak lock): http://photo.greenlightstreet.com/ww...rmArticleID/2/

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:35 AM   #4
TDN

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I ordered the Metz 48 AF-1 myself. When it arrives in a couple days I'll let you know. From the specs, it's quite comparable to the Sigma EF-530 DG Super and a bit cheaper. I've read a review saying the 48 AF-1 may not be strong enough to handle heavy diffusers like the Gary Fong Whale Tale.

But with USB upgradability, hopefully this flash will be future-proof for a while. Can't wait until I get a K10D or future model to use this flash wirelessly, as well!

Here is a well-written review (including the bit about the weak lock): http://photo.greenlightstreet.com/ww...rmArticleID/2/

- Jason
Thanks Jason, that would be great

As far as I can tell, the only differences with the 530 DG Super is that there is no wireless flash, no high-speed-sync, and no slave function. All these are in the 58 model though.

The diffuser's no problem since I use ABetterBounceCard.com

I just got word back from the store I asked about this flash, and they didn't have it in stock, only the 530 DG ST from sigma.
Too bad, I could have used one this saturday, but I don't want to rush into things. Besides, I have a feeling the USB contact will come in handy with Pentax...

Tom
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:29 AM   #5

impressive stats. i think i'd have gone for the 58 if it had been available when i got the 500super.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:31 AM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
As far as I can tell, the only differences with the 530 DG Super is that there is no wireless flash, no high-speed-sync, and no slave function. All these are in the 58 model though.
I was under the impression that the 48 AF-1 had all those functions. Looking at the tech specs though, seems I was wrong about some of them.

According to the tech specs, the 48 AF-1 does have some wireless flash capability. However, it's limited only to wireless slave. The 48 AF-1 does have high-speed sync. While it has wireless slave, I'm not sure it can function as a dumb slave unit.

I guess the 48 AF-1 is a mixed bag of features from the 530 ST and 530 Super.

Tech specs for the 48 AF-1: http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pdffiles/...%20digital.pdf

- Jason
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:58 AM   #7
TDN

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I was under the impression that the 48 AF-1 had all those functions. Looking at the tech specs though, seems I was wrong about some of them.

According to the tech specs, the 48 AF-1 does have some wireless flash capability. However, it's limited only to wireless slave. The 48 AF-1 does have high-speed sync. While it has wireless slave, I'm not sure it can function as a dumb slave unit.

I guess the 48 AF-1 is a mixed bag of features from the 530 ST and 530 Super.

Tech specs for the 48 AF-1: http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pdffiles/...%20digital.pdf

- Jason
huh, seems you're right, guess I overlooked

All the more reason for me to get this one instead of the sigma.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:17 PM   #8

I got too the Metz 48, I will receive it on January 11 when my father in law comes from NY, bringing flash, k10d etc....

I got it because on pentaxforum a lot of people were saying how it exposes better than the Pentax, and the usb connection grants me compatibility for the future, without sending the flash like with Sigma.....
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 8:22 PM   #9

Just received the Metz 48 AF-1 from B&H (guess I got their only one in stock :blah.

The flash does feel well-built. It is definitely P-TTL. The head bounces from 90 to -7 degrees from the horizontal and swivels 270 degrees from pointing directly to the rear of the camera.

I haven't had much time to play with the unit, but here's some observations I noted:

You do need to press the unlock button in order to bounce OR swivel the head from its head-on position. If just swiveled, the unlock button will need to be pressed again if you want to also bounce. However, if just bounced, you can just swivel without pressing the unlock button again.

The head definitely won't handle a heavy diffuser like the Gary Fong Whale Tale. The button does not fully lock into place when bounced at any angle, but rather clicks partially into alignment. You can easily push the head up or down without much force. Ironically, the set positions for swivel seem much stronger, requiring more force to move the head from those positions.

I can't help but think the wide-angle diffuser looks somewhat cheap; this is coming from my brief exposure to the Pentax AF 360FGZ. I'm not an experienced flash user, but I can't help but think that the diffuser doesn't cover enough of the main reflector (I'll post pictures in a bit to show what I mean). It does cover the flash after it's zoomed up though, so it's probably a non-issue.

I can confirm that the flash supports high-speec sync. Once there is some communication between the camera and flash, P-TTL HSS becomes available in the mode selector.

The flash does support 4-channel wireless P-TTL. I can't verify this, as I only have a K100D, but it is selectable in the flash. Please note, only wireless slave is supported.

On a related note, it would seem that a dumb slave mode is not available. So much for me using this flash off-shoe.

I'll give this baby a test run when I have some time later.

- Jason
Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:21 PM   #10

Just acouple ofquestions for those of you who own the the 58 AF-1.

I just got mine from B&H today. Is it supposed to included the USB cable, no big deal if it doesn't, it's appears to be just a common USB device cable anyway.

Does your flash unit report the correct distance? I may be mistaken about the feature but on the left of the screen it says '42 ft'. Is that supposed to be 4.2 ft?

Also, is your flash reading your lens focal length correctly?

The exposures look good but the interface is kind of lacking in my opinion.

Thanks,

Neil
http://thewarmland.com

neilvan is offline   Reply With Quote