Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:33 AM   #11

i have the classic strap.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:10 AM   #12

ishino wrote:
Quote:
i have the classic strap.
I'll have to check both the Pro and the Classic out! The factory strap is just to thin for any long time comfort. The one I had on the old K1000 was about 3 times wider and very comfortable!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:33 AM   #13

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
ishino wrote:
Quote:
roy got me hooked on op/tech straps. i've got to say they are a huge improvement! best $10 upgrade i've ever made!

http://optechusa.com/
Are they really that good? 30 years of taking pictures and I still can not stand to put a camera around my neck.
Absolutely. I've used Pro loop straps for the last 3 years and they're a HUGE improvement over anyOEM strap I've ever had.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:10 AM   #14

Hi,

Here is the type of neck straps that I have used since the 80s:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Hippie-T...QQcmdZViewItem

They are very light weight, Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. The one I am using now is over 20 years old and still in great shape... I do have spares...:G

Rudy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:45 PM   #15

rudy,
i have one of those but put it on a lens/camera combo that weighs over 6 pounds and you'll see my point. especially at the zoo.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:59 PM   #16

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
ishino wrote:
Quote:
roy got me hooked on op/tech straps.* i've got to say they are a huge improvement!* best $10 upgrade i've ever made!

http://optechusa.com/
Are they really that good? 30 years of taking pictures and I still can not stand to put a camera around my neck.
When the lens gets big enough , you either have it around the neck or on a tripod...LOL

Dawg
I almost never use neck straps -- I'm a confirmed Camdapter grip strap user, and only attach a neck strap if I need both hands (usually when getting food, and don't want to leave the camera unattended on a table), or am carrying two cameras (one will be around my neck, and the other is carried in my hand).

Here's a link:

http://www.camdapter.com/

They aren't cheap, but if you get one that doubles as a QR plate (I've got both the Manfrotto RC2 and Arca Swiss ones)it takes a little of the bite out of the price. It's nice that they don't block the battery compartment, and even have a 1/4-20 hole threaded in case you might want to attach something else to a tripod hole.

A much less expensive alternative is the Hakuba Grip LH, but it doesn't double as a tripod QR, the plate blocks the battery compartment, and neither the strap or the plastic plate is anywhere near the quality of the Camdapter. Sunpak also markets essentially the same item, as do a number of ebay sellers, and this might be a good way to try out this style of carry without committing a lot of $$s. I used a Hakuba for a couple of years before discovering the Camdapter. Here's a B&H link for the Hakuba.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Grip_LH.html

I can carry a camera all day with my Tam SP300/2.8 + TCs without much fatigue -- adjusted correctly, you can just let it dangle from your hand without having to grip it tightly -- and it's always ready to shoot without getting in the way, even when using a mono or tripod.

For neck straps, I use both Optech and a Quantary that was cheap and works well. I've converted both to having swiveling clips that I can attach in a couple of seconds if needed, and I usually have one in a pocket when I go out. -- the Pentax straps are still in the cellophane bags they came in. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:16 PM   #17

scott,
surely you don't let the camera's mount support the 300..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:32 PM   #18

robar wrote:
Quote:
scott,
surely you don't let the camera's mount support the 300..

roy
Hi Roy,

Certainly not!! Gives me shivers imagining the bottoms of my bodies separating from the rest of the cam and my precious SP 300/2.8 crashing to the ground with the remains of the body. . . :?:

On another note, I see a lot of shooters wandering around with their tripods or monopods on their shoulder, with camera attached. I don't trust my QRs quite that much, and have experienced a number of times when I've snagged a tripod leg on something and had it almost ripped out of my hand because of the leverage, so I prefer to dismount the camera and carry it in my hand with the grip strap and carry the fully extended tri or monopod on my shoulder, then I mount the cam on the pod when I'm ready to shoot -- with a separate QR on the tripod ring on the lens. -- I should have made that clearer. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:16 PM   #19

Has anyone used binocular harnesses for carrying their camera? I have been considering one as carrying the camera on a regular strap all day is a literal pain in the neck. I don't think I want to go with Scott's method as I prefer to have my hands free. Roger's Bushhawk looks great for birds in the woods but I don't think I could get it through the gate at Disney World. :G

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:29 PM   #20

I looked at the optech website, and saw that they have the "reporters model" - where you can carry two cameras or a camera and a set of binocs. Since I had such fun shooting with both cameras today, I was thinking of getting one. Has anyone tried them? One of the biggest problems I have is trying to keep the cameras from knocking into each other and the two neck straps getting tangled up with each other.

I'm another one who wouldn't be able to manage without having my hands (more or less) free.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote