Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:43 PM   #21

I just got an Optech Pro Loop strap for Christmas - besides the fact that its a bit harder to get into my bag now, I love it,. Much more comfortable than the stock strap... plus, if you remove the strap, you can connect the pieces on the camera together for a psuedo wrist strap
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:02 PM   #22

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
ishino wrote:
Quote:
roy got me hooked on op/tech straps. i've got to say they are a huge improvement! best $10 upgrade i've ever made!

http://optechusa.com/
Are they really that good? 30 years of taking pictures and I still can not stand to put a camera around my neck.
When the lens gets big enough , you either have it around the neck or on a tripod...LOL

Dawg
I almost never use neck straps -- I'm a confirmed Camdapter grip strap user, and only attach a neck strap if I need both hands (usually when getting food, and don't want to leave the camera unattended on a table), or am carrying two cameras (one will be around my neck, and the other is carried in my hand).

Here's a link:

http://www.camdapter.com/

They aren't cheap, but if you get one that doubles as a QR plate (I've got both the Manfrotto RC2 and Arca Swiss ones)it takes a little of the bite out of the price. It's nice that they don't block the battery compartment, and even have a 1/4-20 hole threaded in case you might want to attach something else to a tripod hole.

A much less expensive alternative is the Hakuba Grip LH, but it doesn't double as a tripod QR, the plate blocks the battery compartment, and neither the strap or the plastic plate is anywhere near the quality of the Camdapter. Sunpak also markets essentially the same item, as do a number of ebay sellers, and this might be a good way to try out this style of carry without committing a lot of $$s. I used a Hakuba for a couple of years before discovering the Camdapter. Here's a B&H link for the Hakuba.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Grip_LH.html

I can carry a camera all day with my Tam SP300/2.8 + TCs without much fatigue -- adjusted correctly, you can just let it dangle from your hand without having to grip it tightly -- and it's always ready to shoot without getting in the way, even when using a mono or tripod.

For neck straps, I use both Optech and a Quantary that was cheap and works well. I've converted both to having swiveling clips that I can attach in a couple of seconds if needed, and I usually have one in a pocket when I go out. -- the Pentax straps are still in the cellophane bags they came in. . .

Scott
I put a hand strap onto my K10D and it works fine.

However, ther is no way I would get a neck strap in there as well.

How do you manage this? Pics would be nice.

Also, how do you attach the swivels?

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 5:20 PM   #23

Tim, you asked about the binocular strap. I used one this morning at ahot air balloon launch (K10D with Tamron 70-300) and then later today while snowshoeing at Rocky Mountain National Park (K10D with FA35). Works for me. Seems to be a little easier to handle the weight than a neck strap, and I like how closely it holds the camera to the body..

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 7:14 PM   #24

Years ago I replaced all my Pentax (35mm) straps with Leica straps. That was about 22 years ago and I still have them on my 35's. I have K10D that still has the Pentax strap. Not crazy about it, will have to check out the other straps discussed.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 5:52 AM   #25

ishino wrote:
Quote:
roy got me hooked on op/tech straps. i've got to say they are a huge improvement! best $10 upgrade i've ever made!

http://optechusa.com/
Same here!!

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:01 PM   #26

Dal1970 wrote:

I put a hand strap onto my K10D and it works fine.

However, ther is no way I would get a neck strap in there as well.

How do you manage this? Pics would be nice.

Also, how do you attach the swivels?

Dal
[/quote]

Hi Dal,

There's a place on the left end of the Camdapter to attach a neckstrap at the same time as the grip. The cam will hang vertically, but that's not a big deal.

I choose to use a couple of heavy duty split rings that I got from a fishing tackle shop. They are around 3/8" in diameter, and about double the thickness of normal fishing split rings. They allow a normal strap to be mounted, and provide anchors for an additional strap if needed. I like to be able to attach/unmount straps in a few seconds, and don't really like having parts of straps hanging from the mounts, so I found some swiveling clips that I attached to the strap ends.

Scott

Here's a couple of shots that I hope give you an idea of the setup (excuse the dust and the lousy pics)
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:12 PM   #27

Dr. C wrote:
Quote:
Tim, you asked about the binocular strap. I used one this morning at ahot air balloon launch (K10D with Tamron 70-300) and then later today while snowshoeing at Rocky Mountain National Park (K10D with FA35). Works for me. Seems to be a little easier to handle the weight than a neck strap, and I like how closely it holds the camera to the body..

Regards, Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence, I am going to have to try one of these. What brand are you using?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:54 PM   #28

Cheers Scott

Explains it perfectly.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote