Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1

Taken during the halftime performance of our school's dance team at Tuesday night's basketball game. K10d, DA*50-135, ISO 1000, f2.8, 1/500

cheerleaders

and, oh yes, they did play a little basketball

bragging just a little, our boys' team is now 15-0 and ranked #1 in the state in our size classification.

Still remain amazed at just how strong the DA*50-135 really is
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:25 AM   #2

These are good shots! Too bad the K100D doesnt have ISO1000. 1600 gets a bit too noisy for my taste.

Definitely good stop of motion as well. I should really practice sports photography in lower light too!
JBoyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:44 AM   #3

I too am amazed each time at the quality of that lens Paul. That first shot is a stunner!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:50 AM   #4

JBoyde wrote:
Quote:
These are good shots! Too bad the K100D doesnt have ISO1000. 1600 gets a bit too noisy for my taste.
Are you sure it doesn't? I got the additional positions on ISO with the K10d when I changed my E/V settings from 1/2 steps to 1/3 steps. That's done in the Custom Settings Menu (p 148 in your manual). I bought my son a K100d and keep a .pdf copy of the manual on my hard drive to help him with questions that might come up. I'll ask him if, when he changed his E/V settings, he got the additional incremental steps of ISO.

Thanks for looking and the nice comments.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:59 AM   #5

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I too am amazed each time at the quality of that lens Paul. That first shot is a stunner!!

Dawg
Thanks, Ed. I really liked the girls' pose, although I wasn't happy that I cut off Latia's (the girl in the far left in the photo) right hand by being off a little on my framing. The shot was taken at the full 135mm and just required a little Levels and Unsharp mask in post-processing. Taken from all the way across the court, I was pleased to get this kind of quality and a near full-frame image.

Paul
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:30 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Smazing clarity and detail Paul! I need this lens:-)

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:32 AM   #7

Great shots, Paul. Kids are always fun to photograph. Besides that there aren't a whole lot of spectator sports better than high school basketball! Also nice when your team is winning!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:40 PM   #8

Outstanding pictures! I don't have much of a chance to take indoor sports pictures, but it sure looks like the DA*50-135 is a very capable lens.

The K100 doesn't have the same capability when it comes to ISO settings - you don't have the option of the intermediate steps like you do with the K10 (another difference between the cameras). It has been nice to have them on the K10.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote