Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:32 AM   #1

ok here goes, I used to own a k100d, I had problems with it, got it fixed under warranty and then sold it. I now want to replace it, my question is, is the k10d that much better than the k100d super that is now available, I only need the body as I still have most of my lenses. I have been looking at other brands as well, but the cost to replace all the lenses is prohibitive. I would love to stay with pentax
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:58 AM   #2

It was a couple of months ago and I remember havingspentdays and nightsreading almost every camera review,downloading sample pics, and ultimately bringing an SD card with me to the retail storeto be able to comparemy hands on experience with different brands and models!

I can conclude that K10D is a great photographing machineYou don't have to go into themenu for adjustments most of which you findat your finger tips while holding the camera!The weight of the camera, which you get used to holding quickly, is ideal for stability! You are more likely toshootblurr freepictures with it than lighter cameras ata given slow shutter speed even when the SR is off!I should also add that (contrary tosome reviews' claim) you get sharp and well saturated jpegs straight from the camera even when the shapness, etc was set to '0' Don't hesitate to get one and enjoy reasonably sharp handheld pictures @ 1/8'' or even lower!!

Still, I'drecommend you to check the camera before buying against some visor- sensor misalignment which I encountered and had the distributor replace it !
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:59 AM   #3

2many wrote:
Quote:
ok here goes, I used to own a k100d, I had problems with it, got it fixed under warranty and then sold it. I now want to replace it, my question is, is the k10d that much better than the k100d super that is now available, I only need the body as I still have most of my lenses. I have been looking at other brands as well, but the cost to replace all the lenses is prohibitive. I would love to stay with pentax
You may want to wait until after the 24th of January to see if there are any new ones out there. That will be the big camera show and Pentax may offer something entirely new then! But for me the K10D is all I need. As suggested in the other post find a camera store and try both out. Hands on is the best way...Which ever you choose...Welcome back to pentax!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:10 AM   #4

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
2many wrote: You may want to wait until after the 24th of January to see if there are any new ones out there. That will be the big camera show and Pentax may offer something entirely new then! But for me the K10D is all I need. As suggested in the other post find a camera store and try both out. Hands on is the best way...Which ever you choose...Welcome back to pentax!

Dawg
Thanks Dawg,

I dont think I can wait for the announcement on the 24th and then 3 months for something to get to the store. I have found the k10d body only available now for $609 and then there of course is the rebate thing. Making the final cost $509 I havent been watching the prices lately but this seems like a really good price.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:26 AM   #5

I would buy the K10 before the rebate runs out. I also here the supply is running low in some stores.

Jim
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:20 AM   #6

At that price, it's hard to say no to the K10. I have both the K100 and K10 and like them both. I don't find the basic image quality any better on the K10 over the K100. However, I'm another one who likes the controls on the camera (though do keep an eye out for accidentally changing something). My K10 is noisier at ISO 1600 than my K100, but still isn't horrible as long as the picture isn't underexposed. I prefer the weight of the K100 - but that's because I'm a small female and sometimes have trouble with the K10 and a heavy lens.

It'll be interesting to see what the supposed new camera will be like - I haven't read anything in all the rumors going around that makes me want to upgrade either one of my cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:59 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what the supposed new camera will be like - I haven't read anything in all the rumors going around that makes me want to upgrade either one of my cameras.
I am with you on that one, I found out a long time ago that one can go broke pretty fast with having to have the latest and greatest.

I could have gotten the K100D super for around $200 less than the K10D after all the rebates etc. But my main interest is in Bird photography and I thought the K10 would be better suited for that. I ordered it late today, so they wont ship till Monday, I should have it by Friday, then a battery charge and 72 days of reading the manual from front to back and then from back to front and I should be ready to take pictures.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:10 AM   #8

I highly recommend reading the manual as the cameras are different. But they are enough the same that you won't have any trouble getting used to it. I love having the green button on the top and being able to reset Ev compensation back to normal with a touch of two buttons, rather than turning a wheel. I also like having the two wheels, though I sometimes get confused about which one to use, depending on the setting and change something without meaning to.

If you want to get a head start on the manual - you can download it in pdf format from the Pentax website.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote