Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:32 PM   #1

Fence Red tail / Post Red Tail (?Jail?)

The fence Red Tail almost got me in jail. I was in between the airport and the air force base at Colorado Springs thinking I would get a chance at a photo of a commercial airplane. I was parked on the highway right away in a pull off waiting for a plane when this Red Tail Hawk showed up so I started taking photos. After getting a few bursts off I went back to the highway and about a mile later when I was making a turn at the entrance to the air base (Peterson) Air Force Security pulled me over. Red lights and the guard got out of the car and told me to stay in my vehicle. About 10 minutes later he came up to my camera wagon and said they had a report I was taking pictures of their air base. I explained NO that from the pull off I couldn't see anything on the base but a grassy knob and I was taking photos of a Hawk. I offered to show him the photos and did show him the photos and he admitted there was nothing about their base just the hawk in the photos. He then tells me I have to delete the Photos RIGHT now. I refused and told him I was on a public right away part of the state highway and their fence had no signs about any kind about restrictions. That he had three choices: Call the sheriff who has authority on state highway property, call the officer of the day to come out or arrest me. He told me to stay in my vehicle and went back to his car with his partner in it and I could see in my mirror they were on the radio. About another 10 minutes went by and he came back and told me to remember they do not allow photos of their base and I could leave.

Here are the photo I showed the guard and nothing about the base is visable.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:09 PM   #2

Good for you for not giving in to their Gestapo BS! Great pics, too! They couldn't have pried them away from my dead body!
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:10 PM   #3

The word Gestapo is a bit harsh. They have a job to do and photography is a big issue in security for a verity or reasons. There are laws about taking photographs around Air Ports and military bases. They probably have standing orders. Asking you to delete the photo's was the simplest solution. When you refused he probably had to get permission to let you go. He did not need the sheriff's or the officer of the day to take you into custody. But he knew that would be a waste of everybody's time.
Great shot's though glad you didn't delete them.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:29 PM   #4

David French wrote:
Quote:
Good for you for not giving in to their Gestapo BS! Great pics, too! They couldn't have pried them away from my dead body!
Hi David, i am glad I did not delete them.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:34 PM   #5

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
The word Gestapo is a bit harsh. They have a job to do and photography is a big issue in security for a verity or reasons. There are laws about taking photographs around Air Ports and military bases. They probably have standing orders. Asking you to delete the photo's was the simplest solution. When you refused he probably had to get permission to let you go. He did not need the sheriff's or the officer of the day to take you into custody. But he knew that would be a waste of everybody's time.
Great shot's though glad you didn't delete them.
tjsnaps, No disrespect intended but Gestapo is a good description of his attitude. I have and had no problem with him trying to do a job and I understand that. I was not on goverment property so there was no way he was going to arrest me. He might of shot me but I figured he would have to contact a superior first. I figured the best solution was to stand my ground and give him a choice of who he might contact.I was very nice and polite when he came up to the camera wagon and his Gestapo attitude changed my attitude.

Wacky roger

Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:37 PM   #6

I only used that word since it seemed to me that they were trying to illegally scare him into deleting his legally obtained intellectual property. It's quite possible that I'm wrong, and I suppose only a lawyer could tell us wether they actually had the right to make him delete his photos I'd sure like to learn the facts here if anybody knows for sure.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:47 PM   #7

Someone might need to repost the photographer's rights again and everyone should have a copy on them. Also from a State right of way you can photograph almost anything unless there is a posting of that being forbidden and then it must be approved by local authorities. They can take you in for questioning but should release you and your photos if nothing is detrimental to their security! A word to the wise...no matter how unpleasant they are be polite and keep your cool....Idiots and imbeciles wear uniforms too! Never know what one might do.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:47 PM   #8

David French wrote:
Quote:
I only used that word since it seemed to me that they were trying to illegally scare him into deleting his legally obtained intellectual property. It's quite possible that I'm wrong, and I suppose only a lawyer could tell us wether they actually had the right to make him delete his photos I'd sure like to learn the facts here if anybody knows for sure.
I think the results answer the legal question. All the time he was back in his vehicle I am sure he was talking to a supervisor or two and they told him to leave it alone. With his attitude if he had been right there would of been a problem.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:49 PM   #9

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Someone might need to repost the photographer's rights again and everyone should have a copy on them. Also from a State right of way you can photograph almost anything unless there is a posting of that being forbidden and then it must be approved by local authorities. They can take you in for questioning but should release you and your photos if nothing is detrimental to their security! A word to the wise...no matter how unpleasant they are be polite and keep your cool....Idiots and imbeciles wear uniforms too! Never know what one might do.

Dawg

Dawg you and I are on the same page.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:54 PM   #10

Ummm, how come airport security had the power to even pull you over on a public road?:roll:
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote