Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:58 PM   #1

Two things actually -

One - and it hurts.

The airline lost one of my bags going into a UN mission. Luckily it was not the one with my camera gear, but now I am short on uniforms and have no boots. Also lost all my anti-maleria medications.

Had to buy some new clothes and toiletries just to survive a day here in Dubai...and No!! I don't know anything about the new cameras :lol: Just submitting my paperwork to try and get some compensation and get resupplied.

Two - I had to chuckle.

I was taking some pics at a resort here in Dubai. Got stopped by security. Looked at my camera and said "No professional photographers allowed!", I told him I wasn't and he lookedat the K10d with grip and 80-200mm f/2.8 lens and said, "No photogrpahy with pro-cameras!!"

Maybe it was the way I was "looking pro" when I took them. I have been working on my stance :G:G

By the way got some nice snaps, but got stopped just as I was about to take potentially the best shot of this. (from another website)

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2

Why don't you borrow one of those cool looking white UN tanks and go back and have a chat with them about your photography?

It is amazing when they loose your luggage and when you go to the department in charge of finding lost luggage, they have more bags in one room than you have ever seen in your life. They seem to have everyones but yours.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Two things actually -

One - and it hurts.

The airline lost one of my bags going into a UN mission.¬* Luckily it was not the one with my camera gear, but now I am short on uniforms and have no boots.¬* Also lost all my anti-maleria medications.

Had to buy some new clothes and toiletries just to survive a day here in Dubai...and No!! I don't know anything about the new cameras¬* :lol:¬* Just submitting my paperwork to try and get some compensation and get resupplied.

Two - I had to chuckle.

I was taking some pics at a resort here in Dubai.¬* Got stopped by security.¬* Looked at my camera and said "No professional photographers allowed!", I told him I wasn't and he lookedat the K10d with grip and 80-200mm f/2.8 lens and said, "No photogrpahy with pro-cameras!!"

Maybe it was the way I was "looking pro" when I took them.¬* I have been working on my stance :G:G¬*

By the way got some nice snaps, but got stopped just as I was about to take potentially the best shot of this. [i](from another website)
Crash,

You can buy anything in Dubai.
Your camera/lens are too Canon like (large white lens). So you look like a pro. Just kidding.
Nice shot. From your new FA* zoom?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:08 PM   #4

You are certainly in a good location to get interesting pictures! Do they really charge you to just enter that hotel? I've read that in the past (and seen some awesome pictures taken in/around it). I don't suppose you managed to get the UN to pay for a room there, did you? Too bad about getting run off by security - maybe next time you'll be luckier.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:07 AM   #5

Tom,

At first they lost everyones luggage then 12 of our bags turned up and then it was just me and another who lost one bag each. Yeah, I have seen the lost bag room, totally scary that they can have that many lost bags and reports of lost bags and can't connect them. In the future I will install an ALARM that I can remotely activate. Then go "Wait, I will dial my bag" and have some sort of siren go off in the bag

My bag has my name in HUGE letters 8 inches high written down the length of the bag. But then again it is in English and not Arabic, my fault :O

Daniel,

No I didn't take that shot, but that was the building I was trying to photograph when I got sotpped. In some repects I think I could have handled losing my camera gear easier, as I could buy it all again NOW before I fly out to Sudan, then get my money back via Insurance later.

As it is I have to order new uniforms, berets, boots, the list goes on. aaarrrgh!!:ak47:

Mtngal, No we were just having lunch at an adjacent facility and it was about 200m away. Didn't go in, but they will charge about $20USD to go inside to look around.

Crash
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:49 AM   #6

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Got stopped by security. Looked at my camera and said "No professional photographers allowed!", I told him I wasn't and he lookedat the K10d with grip and 80-200mm f/2.8 lens and said, "No photogrpahy with pro-cameras!!"
Something similar happened to me at Heathrow when I went to collect my son on his return from LA. I took the GX-10 as, although my son is very camera-shy, there were bound to be some interesting photo opportunities. Except I was approached by a policeman asking what I was doing. "Just collecting my son" I replied, almost truthfully. "Hmmm, that's a serious piece of kit for a few snaps" he said.

I wanted to say "SNAPS? I take photographs you moron!." But decided better of it :-)

The upshot was that I was told in no uncertain terms that whilst I could probably take a phot of my son as he emerged, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES could I take any other photos.

Keith
[img]chrome://piclens/content/launch.png[/img]
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:55 PM   #7

quite an amazing area of the world. i've read quite a bit about it.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:20 PM   #8

I was doing some reading a while back on the Fuji s9600 and a reviewer said that he had been stopped by security because the camera "looks like" an SLR. That's all the go on. If your equipment looks expensive they assume you're a pro. I used to have people ask me if I was with the news paper all the time just because I carried two cameras.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:16 AM   #9

This was one that I got before he said stop.
Attached Images

Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:20 AM   #10

And this one :blah:
Attached Images