Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:42 PM   #1

Help / Wildlife Tips / Yes or NO

The last couple of years I have received a lot of E-mails and some phone calls and numerous responses to posts I have made with questions about how to or how do I.

I had planned on doing a series of Wildlife tips this winter and posting them on the Forums I participate in. To make a point or to show what I am talking about I planned on using photos. Because of this idea I have spent time in town to try and see if some of the tips will work other than just out in the woods.

Here is my problem: I have two cameras that I use one is a Pentax and one is a Canon. When you are using real life situations to make a point you don't have the opportunity to change cameras or lenses.

A example: Wildlife calls, I may have two good photos taken with my Pentax one that shows a Elk call working and the other showing it not working. How about how to herd Bald Eagles??? The photos were with a canon not a Pentax.

The question to the forum members:

Do I post only the canon taken photos on the canon board and not let the photographers from the Pentax board have the opportunity to learn something new that may help then get more keepers????

Or do I just forget the idea ???? Or just post the information only in the wildlife forums ???? This would mean a lot of Canon and Pentax photographers would not have the information available. What about the folks on the Pentax or Canon boards that would like to learn more about wildlife but at this time don't feel comfortable posting on wildlife boards ????

If this thread makes me sound frustrated or confused it is because I am. I don't want to get flamed about what camera took the information photos and don't want other folks flaming each other about the subject. I thought and now I have 2nd thoughts about that this idea might be a good way to help others get a few more keepers.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated. I am wanting to find out what the folks on the forum think before I make up my mind what I am going to do.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:01 PM   #2

Roger, I can see the point that Canon should be on Canon and Pentax on Pentax. However, since you have been a major contributer to this forum and you use both, I don't have a problem if some Canon pix make it here. I think if you were to ask Steve whyhe does it this way he would probably tell you it is to keep some order, not to just to keep brands apart. Then again maybe you should ask him and see what he thinks about it.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:25 PM   #3

Post it in the wildlife forum. Then post links to it in the Pentax and Canon forums with a good descriptionof the post. Keeps everybody happy, especially self-appointed forum police.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:28 PM   #4

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Roger, I can see the point that Canon should be on Canon and Pentax on Pentax. However, since you have been a major contributer to this forum and you use both, I don't have a problem if some Canon pix make it here. I think if you were to ask Steve whyhe does it this way he would probably tell you it is to keep some order, not to just to keep brands apart. Then again maybe you should ask him and see what he thinks about it.

Glenn
Good idea Glenn

thanks

Wacky roger
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:30 PM   #5

Hi Roger,

I've already expressed my feelings about cross-platform picture posting -- I think it's okay, especially when the subject has more to do with general photography, as opposed to illustrating how a certain camera works with a certain lens in a certain situation where brand specificity is actually the purpose. Your posts, regardless of the camera that you used for the particular photograph, are usually highly informational, and never trollish (if that's even a real word). I don't think that you're seriously compromising the integrity of the Pentax forum in any way -- and besides -- you're family!!!

I can remember back to your first posts -- not that long ago -- when you came here with your "I'm just a beginner, not very well educated, nor knowledgeable about these new-fangled digital SLRs", and in a year's time, you have turned into one of the go-to guys when it comes to photographing birds and animals in their natural settings. You've probably sold more Bigmas for Sigma than anyone on any of the boards. I personally find this inspirational, and would like to continue to benefit from the experiences of your personal "journey" (though I've gotten to hate that word lately :-) ) in nature photography.

I don't frequent the other fora here, and severely limit my participation in others, so I would be one of those who would most likely miss any tips and techniques that you might post elsewhere. I think that with the leisurely pace afforded here that there should be no objection to such posts offered in the spirit of sharing your outdoor experiences -- which go considerably beyond just the photography.

Maybe it's just the city boy in me that just enjoys the sights and scenes from the wide expanses of the West -- but if you keep posting here -- regardless of what camera you happened to be using -- I'll keep checking out your posts, and might learn something in the process -- IMO, that's what these fora are really good for. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 3:31 PM   #6

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
Post it in the wildlife forum. Then post links to it in the Pentax and Canon forums with a good descriptionof the post. Keeps everybody happy, especially self-appointed forum police.
That works for Steves but not for DPReview they don't have a wildlife forum.

If I am going to spend a lot of time and energy on this I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Wacky roger

Old Jan 12, 2008, 4:39 PM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger,

I've already expressed my feelings about cross-platform picture posting -- I think it's okay, especially when the subject has more to do with general photography, as opposed to illustrating how a certain camera works with a certain lens in a certain situation where brand specificity is actually the purpose. Your posts, regardless of the camera that you used for the particular photograph, are usually highly informational, and never trollish (if that's even a real word). I don't think that you're seriously compromising the integrity of the Pentax forum in any way -- and besides -- you're family!!!

I can remember back to your first posts -- not that long ago -- when you came here with your "I'm just a beginner, not very well educated, nor knowledgeable about these new-fangled digital SLRs", and in a year's time, you have turned into one of the go-to guys when it comes to photographing birds and animals in their natural settings. You've probably sold more Bigmas for Sigma than anyone on any of the boards. I personally find this inspirational, and would like to continue to benefit from the experiences of your personal "journey" (though I've gotten to hate that word lately :-) ) in nature photography.

I don't frequent the other fora here, and severely limit my participation in others, so I would be one of those who would most likely miss any tips and techniques that you might post elsewhere. I think that with the leisurely pace afforded here that there should be no objection to such posts offered in the spirit of sharing your outdoor experiences -- which go considerably beyond just the photography.

Maybe it's just the city boy in me that just enjoys the sights and scenes from the wide expanses of the West -- but if you keep posting here -- regardless of what camera you happened to be using -- I'll keep checking out your posts, and might learn something in the process -- IMO, that's what these fora are really good for. . .

Scott
Thank you Scott for the nice comment.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:03 PM   #8

A friend of mine on another forum just gave me the answer I was looking for. I am going to try this and see what happens.

"Correct me if I am wrong: You are going to talk about wind direction, calls, cover, approach, searching, tracking, habits, and that sort of thing. If that is true then it should not matter what camera you use for the illustration images. Personally I would enjoy such posts. If it were me I would not even mention what camera took the image. If folks start to give you a hard time about it then just cease the posts and it becomes thier (and our) loss. In fact, I would put a disclaimer in the post that says something like: "This is a thread of wildlife tips and not a discussion of the gear that was used, because following these tips can yield good wildlife images with most any camera brand."
I would welcome such posts from you Roger.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:39 AM   #9

Roger

Go ahead & post your information / tips along with any photos that illustrate the points that you are trying to make, regardless of the brand of camera & lens combo used to take the shots..

In my opinion, any member that frequents this forum (Pentax/Samsung dSLR) (or any other forum that you might wish to post such information on) that cannot overlook the brand of the camera & lens combo that took the photo that is being used to make your points, should pack up & go someplace else..

The value of the advice should far out weigh any annoyance that one might perceive over an image taken with a Canon rig being posted on the Pentax forum..

Since I've been a member of Steve's Digicams your contributions to the Pentax forum have been substantial..

As a former hunter & shooter of handguns, rifles, shotguns, black powder muzzleloaders, & recurve bows that started shooting & hunting in his pre-teens; I can make the following obversations from the information that I have gleaned from both the photos & text that you have posted..

Without ever having met you in person I can tell that you are a consummate hunter..Your willingness to wait quietly, with minimal movement, for hours, along with your ability to stalk to get into position is just as important, if not more important, to capturing your images; then is the ability to use the camera equipment..

The vast majority of the wildlife displayed in the photographs that you post tend to be extremely wary of humans..

That you are able to consistantly bring home high quality photos that you are then able to sell speaks volumes as to your abilities..Something that a lot of us here probably tend to forget is that you are selling a fairly decent number of prints as a result of your work..Which fact speaks well for the quality of your photography..If the quality wasn't good, your customers would not be purchasing it..

Since It has been many years since I took to the field to hunt, I would more than welcome any advice & tips regarding wildlife photography from such an accomplished hunter & photographer such as yourself..

I am especially interested in the way that you have & are using the BushHawk..I am curious as to how your technique with the BushHawk/ Bigma/ K10D combo has evolved since you first started using it; & I would welcome the comparison of the BushHawk/ Bigma/ Pentax K10D set-up vs. the BushHawk/ 500mm f4 IS / 1.4x or 2x teleconverter/ Canon EOS 1D MarkIII set-up..

Don't let the nitpickers get you down..I hope to see your tips & advice on wildlife photography posted here soon..

Bruce

baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:51 AM   #10

Do it Roger...This would be helpful tips about the process not the equipment. This after all is a photography forum and I don't think we have anyone that would object to getting the info no matter the camera used. I for one don't care what camera you are using as long as the info and photos help me learn more.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote