Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:19 PM   #11

Thanks, penolta - interesting feedback. I think it partly depends on a person's monitor, expecially on #6. I'm stuck with the wires - I tried cropping and can't get rid of the bottom wire without cloning it out. I've never managed to clone things out when there's opposing lines, like the horizontal lines of the sky and the diagonal line of the wire, so I'm not going to mess with that one.

The sunrise does look better cropped:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:22 PM   #12

But the extra compression doesn't help the colors at all (I"ve noticed that before).

I agree that cropping the vertical one does help it, as the blackened ground before the water doesn't add all that much. However, I have no problem differentiating the water and the ground on my monitor - it may be set a little lighter than it should be.

Here's a crop, with the darker part lightened:

Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:29 PM   #13

Finally, here's #6. I like the composition the way it is - the subject is really the tree, not the hills. I guess that might get lost if the monitor is set darker than mine, so rather than crop it, I tried to lighten the darker, lower part to allow the tree to be more obvious. Not sure that my attempt really works - I should get an HDR software for something like this, rather than using just layers and layer masks for this.
Attached Images

Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:10 PM   #14

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Too many good ones to pick favorites, but I keep getting drawn back to image no. 2--thegeomety and symetry appeals to me. Too bad that you're only allowed one entry for this month's challenge! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:52 PM   #15

Very nice shots Harriet, you are really giving me wide angle envy! I like 4, 6, 8, and the last one. It is too bad those horses did not cooperate and come closer to the foreground.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:54 PM   #16

Thanks, Jay and Tim, for the compliments. There's about4 fences between those horses and where I was standing, not counting the interstate highway. I was just happy that I decided to see if I could find a good fog scene. So often the fog up here isn't photographic at all so I was really happy with how it came out.

One of the nice things about the wide angle 12-24 lens is it's big depth of field. I think it goes to infinity at about 10 feet. It was interesting to be able to include the fence post in the 4th picture - it's totally a different way of thinking to be able to have both the foreground and the background in focus. I'm still playing around with it, trying to figure out how to make the most of it's capabilities.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:00 AM   #17

Hi Harriet.
wonderfull pic's, #3&6 are my fav's

thanks for the posting.

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 6:14 AM   #18

Just outstanding pictures, my favorite of course is the foggy ranch scene. Now I cant wait for my K10 to get here, 3 days and counting.

Terry
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:01 AM   #19

Thanks, Simon. Terry - Sure hope you have as much fun with your K10 as I do with mine. But as you might have noticed, some of these pictures were taken with the K100. It was great fun going out with both cameras - it's been a long time since I've done that, and I had forgotten how satisfying it is to just pick up the camera with the lens I wanted, rather than changing lenses just about every other shot (I've done that on occasion). A good reason for having two camera bodies.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:32 AM   #20

Snow doesn't reflect well!!! Note the temperature (in degrees Celsius) but more importantly, the reflection of the latticework in the face of the thermometer. Best I can do with a constant snowstorm for the last two days.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote