Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1

From 35-40 feet in distance. First the original un-cropped at 500mm focal length then the cropped version!

Not that bad but I've a long ways to go yet. These are dedicated to a good friend!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:57 PM   #2

Not bad at all!The lens does look like a "keeper" and that it will give you some really good results. The first one looks like there's a branch way in front of the bird (completely OOF and mostly unseen). It goes across it's eye, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it at all (and I only notice it in the cropped version). You could do a bit of adjustment in Photoshop and not see it - the picture is otherwise quite sharp. There's a bit of softness in the cropped version of the second one - almost as if the camera was focusing on something just beyond the bird (maybe the tree?). I didn't notice it at all in the full frame version, but do in the cropped version - maybe because the woodpecker is so sharp.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:51 PM   #3

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Not bad at all!The lens does look like a "keeper" and that it will give you some really good results. The first one looks like there's a branch way in front of the bird (completely OOF and mostly unseen). It goes across it's eye, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it at all (and I only notice it in the cropped version). You could do a bit of adjustment in Photoshop and not see it - the picture is otherwise quite sharp. There's a bit of softness in the cropped version of the second one - almost as if the camera was focusing on something just beyond the bird (maybe the tree?). I didn't notice it at all in the full frame version, but do in the cropped version - maybe because the woodpecker is so sharp.
Actually the branch is behind the bird in both cropped and uncropped...Loks can be decieving...LOL Used Neet image on the second and the soothing is a result of that....Didn't really need it and it does tend to soften the detail of the feathers!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote