Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2008, 3:38 PM   #1

No cropping needed.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:03 PM   #2

Dawg, I think it would be funny to take a 50mm shot (no tele) and then the 500 with the 1.4 to see the real zoom.

How do you like that lens so far?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:48 PM   #3

Very nice - it looks like the pictures are a bit softer with the TC than without (based on the other pictures you posted), but only slightly. I expected more softness. Looks like a reasonable combination for you.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:50 PM   #4

Hi Dawg,

I'm in full agreement that 700mm is very useful for small birds. It allows the birds a lot of space, so they feel secure, yet the reach brings you in so you don't have to crop extensively. If you can get really close, it allows for some amazing shots.

I'm curious as to whether the AF worked for these shots, and which TC did you use for them? The AF on my DS and K10 both pretty much gives up at F8, and this combo would give you a max of f8.8.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:40 PM   #5

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
Dawg, I think it would be funny to take a 50mm shot (no tele) and then the 500 with the 1.4 to see the real zoom.

How do you like that lens so far?
I'll do that tomorrow morning and post the results. Love the lens...Not too heavy after all but it does move a litttle slower on a lift and shoot than the Kit lens!! LOL

Dawg

Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:42 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Very nice - it looks like the pictures are a bit softer with the TC than without (based on the other pictures you posted), but only slightly. I expected more softness. Looks like a reasonable combination for you.
They are just a touch softer but the light was dimmer too. Works so fine for these bird shots....What I've been needing for a while now.

Dawg
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:46 PM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

I'm in full agreement that 700mm is very useful for small birds. It allows the birds a lot of space, so they feel secure, yet the reach brings you in so you don't have to crop extensively. If you can get really close, it allows for some amazing shots.

I'm curious as to whether the AF worked for these shots, and which TC did you use for them? The AF on my DS and K10 both pretty much gives up at F8, and this combo would give you a max of f8.8.

Scott
Scott here is the one I was using. The AF works up to an f/8 setting and then it hunts all over the place. Some of the softer look of these is from using such a wide open aperture. F/ 4-F6.3 or so...When you hit f/8 it's manual all the way.

Dawg
Attached Images