Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:51 AM   #21

After 'cooking' batteries on a Fameart fast charger, I opted for one of these from: http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/

I'ts all very well stating that 1800 mAhr batteries can be charges in 1 hour, but that's a lot of heat being generated - not ALL NiHi batteries can be rapid charged.

Looking at the Uniross 2300 mAhr batteries that I have, it states charge at 460 mA for 7 hours & their 2100 mAhr batteries at 420 mA for 7 hour; I've charged these at all 3 options & the batteries are hardly warm when charged at 700mA.

I'm trying out Uniross Hybrios which at 2100 mAhr are supposed to hold their charge longer and outlive higher capacity 2800 mAhr NiHi when used infrequently - time will tell.

The BL-700 can be adjusted to give a charging current of 200mA, 500mA & 700mA & has four modes of operation : Charge, Charge/Test, Discharge and Discharge/Refresh.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:59 AM   #22

IntrepidWalker wrote:
Quote:
After 'cooking' batteries on a Fameart fast charger, I opted for one of these from: http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/

I'ts all very well stating that 1800 mAhr batteries can be charges in 1 hour, but that's a lot of heat being generated - not ALL NiHi batteries can be rapid charged.

Looking at the Uniross 2300 mAhr batteries that I have, it states charge at 460 mA for 7 hours & their 2100 mAhr batteries at 420 mA for 7 hour; I've charged these at all 3 options & the batteries are hardly warm when charged at 700mA.

I'm trying out Uniross Hybrios which at 2100 mAhr are supposed to hold their charge longer and outlive higher capacity 2800 mAhr NiHi when used infrequently - time will tell.

The BL-700 can be adjusted to give a charging current of 200mA, 500mA & 700mA & has four modes of operation : Charge, Charge/Test, Discharge and Discharge/Refresh.
IW, I am aware that fast charging produces heat, I did work in the electronics industry for almost 40 years, so I'm not unfamiliar with such problems. I opted to buy the Maha MH-204W after reading this review ...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/C204W/C204WA.HTM

Had I been aware of your particular model previously I may have considered that one , it does have an impressive spec. However I'm committed to buying the Maha, so not a lot I can do. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 5:46 PM   #23

InterpidWalker: any links to a review of this charger? I couldn't find anything. it looks like it's quite good though, similar features to Maha 401FS but much cheaper. I'll have to look at that a bit longer then.

thanks for advice

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:52 AM   #24

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
InterpidWalker: any links to a review of this charger? I couldn't find anything. it looks like it's quite good though, similar features to Maha 401FS but much cheaper. I'll have to look at that a bit longer then.
I don't know of any. I just took the plunge after searching around for an alternative to the fameart - I particularly wanted single cell charge capability & not many chargers support this; most are a minimum of 2. I only bought it a month ago & haven't used it an awful lot BUT all the cells that I 'cooked' on the Fameart charger have been satisfactorily recharged taking a full charge which seems to have held up.

I've only used the it to discharge & recharge once - takes a long time as the discharge current is half the charge current & I guess that this feature is more aimed towards overcoming the memory effect NiCad rather than NiHi.

Battery Logic processed the order quickly & was received the next day - good dealer.

I've since bought some Hybrio 2100 mAhr AA cells which I'm trying out - it's been a tad wet this month & I haven't been out with the *istDS - will be interesting to see how well they stand up sitting there doing not too much.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote