Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:56 PM   #1

4 day elk hunt to get a keeper

Gear used: Pentax K10D with a Sigma 10-20 & a Canon 1D Mark3 with a 500mm & a 1.4 converter. Binoculars & a Spotting Scope

Three days in a row I found Bull Elk and got a few photos and never got out of the camera wagon. Sitting in the camera wagon drinking coffee and shooting at bull elk. Life is good and I sure got lucky.

These photos are from 4 days. First day I was driving around mid-morning and saw fresh elk tracks in two different spots not to far from the county road. I went about a mile on both sides of the tracks to verify they hadn't crossed the road. 2nd, 3rd & 4th days I went to the areas before daylight and waited to catch them going back into the timber to go to bed. 4th morning Thickest fog so far on this hunt. I decided I should go back the 4th day in the afternoon and wait and see if I could catch them coming out of the dark timber. YIPEE 4 days and I finally got a keeper. I think the elk called Mother Nature and asked her to make the conditions right so I would go away and stop bothering them.

Day #2

Day #3

Day #4 At daylight, thickest fog so far.

Played with one of them so you can see there really is elk there.

Day #4 evening - YIPEE 4 days and I finally got a keeper. I think the elk called Mother Nature and asked her to make the conditions right so I would go away and stop bothering them.

How did I know the 4thday in the afternoon was the time to get them ??? You can choose cuz I don't know.

1.Mental Telepathy

2. I have a phone line tap on Mother Natures phone

3. I got lucky

All the fresh track told me this is the ridge. Some of them had crossed the road from the earlier days.

With a close up

He must have a attitude, his #5 tine one one side and his #4 on the other is broke. Probably happened during the rut

A better look at his broken antlers.

About a mile down the road I found me another Bull. He also has a broke antler.

With a close up

Thanks for looking

Wacky roger

Bottom Line: Sometimes being a little stubborn and having good binoculars can get you a keeper or two.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:56 PM   #2

Roger, you got the life! Looks like you ran into the school for Heavyweight Elk Fighters! I can imagine what those rumbles were like to be breaking off those kind of tines.

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:06 PM   #3

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Roger, you got the life! Looks like you ran into the school for Heavyweight Elk Fighters! I can imagine what those rumbles were like to be breaking off those kind of tines.

Thanks for sharing!
Ron
Thanks Ron, for the nice comment.

I am guessing but probably most folks that read the forum will never get a chance to go on a Elk hunt so I figured it would be fun to share a elk hunt with them. It would not be unusual to hunt elk for 4 days and not get close to getting a keeper.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:16 PM   #4
TDN

Nice ones roger!

Looks like that 1DmkIII really gives you a lot of detail. Excellent images.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:26 PM   #5

Hey Roger, these are great shots, and a good story to go along with them. You should write something up for one of the outdoor magazines.

Were all the wide shots taken with your K10D? What did you do with your Bigma?
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:45 PM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Nice ones roger!

Looks like that 1DmkIII really gives you a lot of detail. Excellent images.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I am real happy with the K10 on these background photos. It just always does the job.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:57 PM   #7

Wide open country sure is different from here Roger...There ain't many spots you can see that far here...Too many trees and hills. Very nice sharp long range photos...I still hope to grow up and be half as good as you!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:06 PM   #8

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
Hey Roger, these are great shots, and a good story to go along with them. You should write something up for one of the outdoor magazines.

Were all the wide shots taken with your K10D? What did you do with your Bigma?
rfortson, I am working on a camera hunting article for The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. They have a monthy magazine and asked me to do a article with a lot of photos.

Wacky roger
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:20 PM   #9

Roger, you really are amazing! It goes to show you that good pictures are usually not just luck. They take planning and in this case a lot of time and energy. Thanks for posting.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:15 PM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Wide open country sure is different from here Roger...There ain't many spots you can see that far here...Too many trees and hills. Very nice sharp long range photos...I still hope to grow up and be half as good as you!

Dawg
Hi to YA!!!! Dawg

Thanks for such a nice comment.

Wacky roger