Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bilybianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,435
Default

A guy is selling circular polarizers from Kenko at favourable prices. Are they any good? I bought an off-off-off brand 77 mm polarizer a few years ago, totally useless. Image degradation was worse than ifputgrease all over the front lens.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

I have had some experience with Kenko products, they are probably the best of the bargain brands.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Lyrics51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest Ohio
Posts: 1,954
Default

Kjell, Years ago I had a Kenko 2x doubler for my Minolta set up. It did a pretty good job.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
beachboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 517
Default

I just picked up a Hoya CP filter 72mm. Caution, just screw one way or it dismantles and there is grease all over! You twist the polarizer in same direction as mounting on to lens front. It can dismantle if you screw anticlockwise looking for maximum polarization. Hope this makes sense.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Now that's interesting. I've had a couple of polarizers (linear ones from long ago), but never had one come apart on me, though I have half of one that had been my fathers (I never found the other part of it). The worst thing I've had happen is that they come unscrewed from the lens when I've been turning it that way. I think I'd be taking your Hoya back.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monza76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,095
Default

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
I just picked up a Hoya CP filter 72mm. Caution, just screw one way or it dismantles and there is grease all over! You twist the polarizer in same direction as mounting on to lens front. It can dismantle if you screw anticlockwise looking for maximum polarization. Hope this makes sense.
Definitely calls for caution, I have never seen this happen but I would rather avoid the possibility by only turning one way. Thanks for the warning.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
beachboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 517
Default

Reassembled the Hoya CP filter. A retaining ring was not installed correctly. Otherwise quite impressed by quality of filter.
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 104
Default

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
A guy is selling circular polarizers from Kenko at favourable prices. Are they any good?
Quote:
Kjell
When I decided that I needed 3 new filters, someone on this list suggested that Kenko and Hoya are the same filters with different brands. That was all the encouragement I needed and bought 2 Kenko UVs and 1 Kenko Circular Polarizer Pro1 Digital filters for less than the price of a Hoya Circular Polarizer Pro1 Digital filter. They all work well without my noticing any degradation.

Seems to me, that the only difference is in the spelling (HOYA vs KENKO)

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 104
Default

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
A guy is selling circular polarizers from Kenko at favourable prices. Are they any good?
Quote:
Kjell
When I decided that I needed 3 new filters, someone on this list suggested that Kenko and Hoya are the same filters with different brands. That was all the encouragement I needed and bought 2 Kenko UVs and 1 Kenko Circular Polarizer Pro1 Digital filters for less than the price of a Hoya Circular Polarizer Pro1 Digital filter. They all work well without my noticing any degradation.

Seems to me, that the only difference is in the spelling (HOYA vs KENKO)

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.